𝙂𝙤, 𝙇𝙖𝙣𝙖! 𝙂𝙤 𝙇𝙖𝙣𝙖! 𝙂𝙤 𝙇𝙖𝙣𝙖!

LANA

LANA

Lana usually hated being such a light sleeper, but in this case, it seemed to work out in her favor.

Her brown eyes opened the moment the truck stopped and she raised her head off of Percy's shoulder. She ignored the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach.

"What's going on?" Grover mumbled, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Oh, shit." She shook Percy's shoulder and he awoke with the start. "They're going to check on the animals. We need to hide right now."

The three of them jumped up, Percy and Grover rushing to hide behind feed sacks. When Lana went towards the cages to hide next to them, Percy grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him. Before she could protest, he tucked her under his arm before throwing an empty sack on top of them.

"What are you doing?" She whispered harshly to the boy above her.

"You aren't as small as you think you are. Now, be quiet." He retorted back.

The trailer doors creaked open. Sunlight and heat poured in and Lana felt herself begin to sweat from her hiding spot.

"Man!" one of the truckers said. "I wish I hauled appliances."

He climbed inside and poured some water from a jug into the animals' dishes.

"You hot, big boy?" he asked the lion, splashing the rest of the bucket right in the lion's face.

The lion roared in indignation.

Before Lana could react, Percy's arm around her waist tightened and she felt his mouth right next to her ear.

"Don't say a word." He whispered quietly.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," the man said.

The trucker threw the antelope a squashed-looking Happy meal bag and he smirked at the zebra.

"How ya doin', Stripes? Least we'll be getting rid of you this stop. You like magic shows? You're gonna love this one. They're gonna saw you in half!"

Lana's patience with the man was beginning to wear away and she wanted nothing more than to throw a dagger at his cold heart. She didn't believe that these miscreants should be the one taking care of these gentle animals and wanted to save them from a horrible life.

Raising her fist, she banged against the side of the trailer.

The trucker inside yelled, "What do you want, Eddie?"

A voice outside shouted back, "Maurice? What'd you say?"

"What are you banging for?"

Lana repeated her actions. Knock, knock, knock.

Outside, Eddie yelled, "What banging"

Maurice rolled his eyes and went back outside, cursing at Eddie for being an idiot.