2 - Collapse

After the events that transpired on September 4th, 1897, I was heartbroken, filled with vengeance. Your father, Tommy, he was scared when I told him to move into that orphanage. And I say this to you as well, "Man up or Man Down." It was sad losing my wife and son. Soon enough, I'd be working In the mines, catching black Lung but earning my keep with society. I still have a hard time breathing at times, but I'll live.

A couple of my friends worked in the mine as well, they knew I ain't the mining man but understood my current situation. They were helpful enough to teach me how to use the pickaxe and what not, to the point I could know what I would find in those mines. The majority was coal, but those extra goodies are kept. You would be surprised with how much I've made. Another thing to mention, the miners stole what they mined, I was one of them. Life back then took risk and effort, and I sincerely hope you don't steal without me sayin' so.

"I understand that Gramps," couldn't his generosity bring a smile to a man's face? "That's good, you just keep that head of yours in those books boy." His face glared up at me before nodding, "Yes grandpa."

Now, where was I?
Oh yeah, the mines.
And go fetch me a beer under the floorboard, my throat is feeling dry.

After a minute or five, the relaxation of one's mouth felt graceful. He sat back down in the floor as my mind felt at ease the more I drank.

One of those friends was a good fellow, lending me their home of hogwash on the border of Quile. Siamuel, not Samuel, but Siamuel. He was a Dale but acted more of a Harc when I worked with him. A dairy farmer, Coal miner, he was a busy man throughout his life. That fat hog he calls 'Betta' was his soon mine wife. Boy let me tell you, even a damn boulder couldn't stop her.

We both met in good terms at the end of the day. I can not understand how his legs could do all the work for seven days straight. More machine than man I thought. The crates of coal was quite hefty, but Siamuel could carry them like it was nothing. I didn't complain about it as long as it made everyone more money. You see, my first plan of vengeance was money, since most of what I had planned required more money than the rich.

My intentions were pure, but the only reason I needed money was a good home and those deluxe baths I keep hearing about. Thinking of it reminds me of my wife, Edith. Did everything together, even when we were little. Our parents had a tough time restraining the two of us, always getting into muddy pools and getting dirty. The feeling got more mutual as we aged into adults, her own touch gettin more personal with each passing moment. Bear this in mind, I gave her a lashing if she ever touch my big bare bottoms.

We would bring ten crates of coal to a stagecoach that was delivered to the railroad company. Paying a huge sum for over a hundred workers per two months. Many of the miners I knew suffered from cramps that led to amputations. One of my friends is missing an arm and still works at the very same mines to this day. That boy was dedicated. Truly risking life and limb for a sum that is below average.

The way life was for me then wasn't that rough but tired me half to death. Siamuel, Jackson, and Terry were all working my wing, well not my wing but the second row of mines. Didn't pay much attention to the others but far off in the distance was a big boom. A feeling of the earth shaking trembled us as the black dirty above started to fall in. We managed to run out of the mines, but some were never seen or heard of again after the incident. Little lives was lost but not a moment was wasted when disposing the bodies.

The worse damn thing that could have happened, happened! I was framed for the incident. Sure, handed the foreman the crate of dynamite but didn't dare light one up to blow a whole mining row! Worst but not least, my own friends absense couldn't back me up and I was forced to pay a heavy fine of $260 in repairs and another two-hundred for the burial of ten workers. Now my wife, now me, and then my friend kicked me out of the house out of his concern for 'safety,' even though I did not blow up the mines. So in return of his hospitality, I took Betta with me and wandered my way to Wúk Dōn.