4 - The Shorty

The contract I signed was from the state officials, requesting separational segregation at the reservations down east. It's not my fault that i had the same handwriting as the mayor, let alone kids doing government work. Such a stupid concept but their ways surprise me. As soon as my pen in that paper was finished, they scurried off, hollering as kids do. I didn't realize my consequences at first until someone very special came to my door step. The native chief, Coal East.

"About time we met," said the native chief with three others to his side. Those old legends of boogeyman came from natives when the look on their face go utterly shocked or surprised. It was a mix of both as he realized that I wasn't the mayor. The breath was knocked out of him at this realization, gasping for air as he sat down in the steps. By the way he sounded, so rough and broken, I can only image how much pain he was going through. I tried to make a move on him, but these natives knocked me down and out.

"So the natives were bad back then?" My grandkid has to ask this, I didn't realized I painted a bad picture, "Shut that boy up and take him to school, your his mother." I wasn't very fond when people assumed that natives are bad people, as if only them was bad. "And make sure to teach that boy some manners," my teeth grit, watching them both leave the room before two families appear before me. The kids father and his work buddy, Adem. Luckily back then I knew Tommy was safe, me and him was part native anyways but I ain't so sure about Adem.

Those two sat down with me, Adem wearing a strange vest that was shiny. I atleast know the two are decent enough to talk to. "Telling stories again Pa?" They both looked at me before I gave him a slight nod, "I sure am, but I'd like to hear some from you." Adem nodded as I continued to sip more of my beer, we both leaned in towards him. "You might like it, but here I go."

After you send me away to that orphanage, you promised me I would be safe. But back then, it was overran by a gang that held me hostage when I was just a teen. You always tried to keep me safe but the women owning the orphanage took care of me when that gang took over. Who even robs an orphanage? It had no common sense to it, but I kept my mouth shut to stay alive through it. Me and that woman go far back, although we just met, age was just a number.

It was in desperation that we had helped with the other young ones in that orphanage, somehow an impossible yet to happen. The orphanage was in the snowy parts, in a state called Lizbano, which was as cold as ever. If you was here Paw, you would have helped us take them down, but that wicked orphan women was suggesting on leaving. She sure was a pus, the cold kind. To the point she left inside the train station at the border quivering in fear. You taught me how to shoot a gun Paw, and I made sure to use it wisely.