Chapter 3: The first life

(Jeongin's POV)

It was my last day on earth, and I felt the happiest I had ever felt in the past three years or so. I was going to be with all my hyungs again, very soon.

I closed my eyes, and felt my heart stop, I died with a smile on my face, quietly in my room with all my albums.

I opened my eyes to find myself in an open field, it reminded me of the field that was used in the view music video. Everything was bright and dream like. I looked at my hands and my clothes and I realised, I was my 16 year old self again!

I realised this may be my life flashing before my eyes, I looked around and saw someone standing a little far away. I realised, it was Chan hyung! As his 19 year old self!

I ran upto him and hugged him tight. I felt him hug me tightly too. "I missed you In-ah," he whispered. The warmth of his breath was so comforting.

After I pulled away, he looked into my eyes and said, "well, this is the end of our second life together." I was puzzled, I don't remember him ever saying something like that. This wasn't a memory.

"Second life?" I asked, feeling kind of scared for I didn't know if I was dreaming, or is this what my afterlife is going to look like.

"Let me explain, ever wondered how we're so synchronised to the point it's inhumane? How we feel connected beyond friends, beyond family even. It's because of our first life. You are not dreaming my little baby bread, I am Chan himself, here to give you a message before you walk on the bridge to the afterlife," He said.

I was confused, and scared. Did this mean I was talking to Chan's ghost? But I'm dead too, so are we both Ghosts?! I decided not to question it. I asked Chan, "is this real? Or is this all happening inside my head?"

"Of course it's happening in your mind, but that doesn't mean it's not real, I am really Chan, and what I'm about to tell you is a hundred percent real," He said.

"Alright, I, um, what is it?" I asked, gathering up courage.

"Well, in our first life together...

...

(Chan's POV)

I was done chopping wood for fire, and I bought the lumber back to where we stayed. I remember when I used to do this with my dad, but now that him and mom are gone, I ought to be a dad to my younger brothers.

As soon as I entered our cottage, Saebok(felix) ran to give me a hug. I stopped him, put the lumber down, and cheerfully grabbed him in a tight hug. He never left a chance to show me love.

I bought the lumber to our little chef Minwan(Minho). He looked at it, and at me, and smiled. But as soon as I raised my hand to pat him lovingly he turned away.

Tenjin(hyunjin) was making pots with some cheap clay. I always try to work harder and get more lumber so that a large part cam be sold. I would buy him some expensive clay.

He'd make beautiful pots and paint them with paints made out of flowers and sell them. Moonbin(changbin) would do odd jobs like repairing for  small fees.

The three of us, being older than the maknaes, would do these jobs to earn money. Minwan, though one of the older ones, stays home to take care of the little ones.

We had been living this way for 6 years now. The pain of losing omma and appa had faded away. Though I still miss them, I don't feel the empty void anymore.

We were happy and satisfied. We weren't rich, we may be described as 'poor' but, money doesn't matter when you have enough to feed your little brothers.

They don't even feel like brothers anymore, I practically raised them.

Everything changed when I turned 30. A war broke out, and the government demanded young men to serve. Me and my brothers were orphans so the villagers decided to force us all into war to save their own sons.

The war was not kind. Several people were wounded and some even died every day. It didn't matter, as long as we were alive and together.

The war wasn't kind to us. I lost all of my brothers in the war.

I was all alone when the war ended. My brothers were gone. I couldn't bear the grief.

As I grabbed onto the rope and hung it around my neck, I prayed to God, and wished for only one thing. "Dear God, please let me meet them again in our next Life, and please help us live till the end of our lives together happily"

-_-_-_-_-

"In this life, I didn't remember why, but I knew deep down, the eight of us belonged with each other, in my last moments, I got a flashback of our first life and it all made sense," Chan hyung concluded.

I felt wet drops of tears trickle down my face. This was real, it had to be. I grabbed him in another tight hug. When I pulled away, he began to say something else.

"In-ah, since you're the last one to end your journey, I leave this work to you. Please, bring us together in our next Life too.  I know we've lived happily together this life, but I want to spend another life raising all of you, so please, bring us together," He said.

"I will! I certainly will!" I replied enthusiastically. It was such a relief to know that 'the end' isn't really the end. We can be together again for a whole other life.

After I said yes, Chan smiled, and I looked around to realise the scene was fading away. Everything was disappearing, and so was Chan, I tried to grab him, but before I knew it, I found myself on a bridge.

As I crossed the bridge, I felt all my memories slowly fading away. Memories of my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my parents everyone.

However, I desperately held onto my memories of stray kids. Maybe Chan was a hallucination, but I felt it in my gut, I have to complete his quest. No matter what.

---------------🥀🥀🥀--------------

To be continued. . .

Please vote, comment and share if you like the story<3