08

Hani

Chae's place was a single wide trailer in the back corner of a park. The beige box sloped hard to the right looking like it was missing part of its foundation on that end.

Seungcheol was glaring again. But for once, it wasn't at me. It was at the notice posted on the door.

'EVICTION'

"Stay here." He ordered without looking at me or Mimi. I was too tired to be annoyed as he side stepped inside.

Mimi rolled her eyes. "She's long gone. She busted in here before the motel."

On reflex, I reached for her and put my hands on her shoulders. She jumped back, looking at me like I'd just tried to jelly leg her.

"Uh..where have you two been staying?"

Mimi shrugged. "I stayed at my friend's house the last two nights. Her parents don't mind an extra kid for dinner. Dunno where she stayed."

The only time "responsible" could be applied to Chae was when she was impersonating me over the years. Even still, I found myself horrified at my sister's approach to parenting.

"It's clear." Seungcheol called from inside.

"Told ya!" Mimi bounded up the steps, and I followed. The trailer was worse on the inside than it was outside.
The carpet had worn through infront of the door, leaving long, gnarled strings that stretched out in all directions. A recliner faced a cheap wooden console with the dusty outline of a TV stand. A small, pink beanbag sat directly in front of it.

"She took the TV. But I grabbed the remote while she wasn't looking." Mimi said proudly.

"Nice job." Seungcheol said ruffling the girl's hair.

I looked around and it was a complete utter mess. Some things never changed.

"She's coming back you know" Mimi said poking her head inside.

"I know." I agreed. What the girl didn't know was that some times it was years between visits.

"My rooms on the other end if you wanna see it." She said, "I'd like that if you don't mind."

I closed the door on Chae's depressing bedroom and followed my niece through the living room. Exhaustion and overwhelm made my eyeballs feel hot and dry. "Where's Seungcheol?" I asked.

"Talking to the landlord outside. Mum owes a shit ton of back rent." She said leading the way to the flimsy fake wood door off the living room. A hand lettered sign said "KEEP OUT" in glitter and four shades of pink marker. I decided to save the lecture on swearing for later when I wasn't mostly asleep on my feet.

Mimi's room was small but tidy. There was a twin bed under a pretty pink quilt. A sagging bookshelf held a few books but was mostly dedicated to hair accessories organised in colourful bins.

Was it possible Mimi was a girlie girl?

She flopped down on her bed. "So? What are we doing?"
"Well." I said brightly. "I like your room. As for the rest of the place, I think we can make it work. A little scrubbing, some organisation..." and a vat of lighter fluid and box of matches.

Seungcheol prowled into the room like a pissed off lion at the zoo.

"Get your shit Mi."

"Uhhh all of it?" She asked.

His nod was brisk. "All of it. Hani."

He turned and marched out of the room. I could feel the trailer shudder under his feet.