19

We were just digging into a large pepperoni and salad (well technically I was the only one with salad on my plate) when the front door opened and in walked Seoyeon the librarian followed by a young girl.

Today, Seoyeon wore a long skirt that skimmed her knee caps and a fitted t-shirt with cuffed sleeves. She wore her hair down, creating a long brown curtain that  moved like the material of her skirt. The girl behind her had pale skin and assessing brown eyes, and wore her hair in adorable space buns.

"Hey Seoyeon!" I greeted her with a wave.

The librarians glossy lips curved in a smile, and jerked her head at the girl who followed.

"Well, if it isn't Jennie, Hani, and Mimi. Tara, do you know Mimi?" Seoyeon asked.

The girl tapped her pink nail finger to her chin. "We had B lunch together last year, didn't we? You sat with Wonie. I'm in Mr Joo's class this year and I'm not happy about it because everyone says he's a mean old man. I heard he's even meaner cause he and his wife are talking about a divorce."

I noticed that Mimi was staring at Tara with wary interest.

"Tara!" Seoyeon sounded both amused and embarrassed.

"What? I'm only repeating what I heard from several very good sources. Whose class are you in?" She asked Mimi.

"Mr Joo." Mimi said.

"Sixth grade is gonna be awesome even if we do have mean old Mr Joo because we get to switch rooms and teachers for science, art, gym and maths. Plus we've got Wonie and Heejin and Anni in class with us." Tara plowed on. "Do you know what you're wearing for your first day? I can't decide between an all pink ensemble or a pink and white ensemble."

It was a lot of words to take in from such a small person.

"If you even need to know anything about anyone, just ask my niece Tara." Seoyeon said, looking amused.

Tara grinned, showing a dimple in one cheek. "I'm not allowed to visit Aunt Seoyeon at the library cause she says I talk too much. I don't think I talk too much. I just have a lot of information that's need to be disseminated to the public."

Mimi was staring at Tara with half of her slice of pizza hanging out of her mouth. It had been a longntime since I'd been in school and faced with a cool girl. But Tara had cool girl written all over her.

"We should get our mums, or I guess your aunt and my mum or aunt, to schedule a playdate. Are you into crafts or hiking? Maybe baking?"

"Uhhh" Mimi said.

"You can let me know at school." Tara said.

"Thanks?" Mimi said.

It occurred to me that if people in the grocery store were giving her the evil eye. Mimi might not have a lot of friends at school. After all, it wasn't hard to imagine mothers not wanting their daughters to bring home Chae Lee's daughter.

Inspiration struck. "Hey, we're throwing a little dinner party, Sunday. Would you two like to come?"

"My day off and I don't have to cook? Count me in." Seoyeon said. "What about you, Tara?"

"I'll check my social calender and get back to you. I have a birthday party and tennis lessons on Saturday, but I think I'm free Sunday."

"Great!" I said. Mimi shot me a look that made me think I sounded a little bit desperate.

"Perfect! Let's grab our to go order before it gets cold." Seoyeon suggested, steering Tara toward the counter.

"Damn, that kid can talk." Jennie observed. She looked at me.  "So when are you gonna invite me to this dinner party?"

"Uhh...now?"

We ate our pizza, I ate our salad, and Jennie picked up the bill like the patron Saint of temporarily broke tenants. We hit the side walk and the heat. But Jennie headed in the opposite direction of the car. She tottered down to the building on the corner and knocked loudly on Diamond Clipper's plate glass window.

Mimi joined her, and they both started waving.

"What are you two doing?" I asked, hurrying after them.

"Seungcheol owns this place too and does some barbering." Jennie said with a hint of pride.

Wearing his usual uniform of worn trousers, a buttoned shirt - which had a few buttons undone at the top - Choi Seungcheol was standing behind one of the salon chairs, taking a straight razor to a customer's cheek. He had a leather apron like organiser hung low on his hips with scissors and other tools tucked in the pouches.

I'd never had a barber fetish before. I didn't even know if that was a legitimate fetish. But watching those tattooed forearms, those dexterous hands work, I felt an annoying pulse of desire spark to life under the pizza I'd inhaled.

His gaze met mine, and for a second, it felt like the glass wasn't there. It felt like I was being dragged into his gravity against my will. It felt like it was just the two of us sharing some kind of secret...

I knew what I'd be thinking about and hating myself for when I laid down in bed tonight. 

_______________________________

a chapter after making you guys wait for ages. I'm so silly