41

Hani

The first week of September streamed into town with summer humidity and the first hint of changing leaves. After a few days of smothering attention, Jeonghan insisted he was well enough for desk duty and returned to work a few hours a day.

The dreadful Mrs Kim had abruptly announced her retirement and moved to Korea to live with her sister. Mimi had a crush on her new teacher, Mr Park, and she'd joined the football team. We'd survived our first official interview with the caseworker, and while my niece had made it known she wasn't a fan of the vegetables, I was forcing on her, Mrs Minatozaki had scheduled the home study, which I took as a hopeful sign.

When I wasn't cheering from the sidelines or sleeping with Seungcheol or absorbing parenting books, I was working. I'd started my new job at the library and was loving it. Between Lock's Glass and the Community Outreach desk at the library, I felt like I was actually starting to find a groove that was all mine. Especially since most of the town had finally stopped calling me Not Chae.

Hani

God, I'm so sorry. I miss you. Things aren't right here without you. I had no right to take my stress out on you. I was just trying to provide the best life for you. If we could have waited like I'd wanted to none of this would have happened.

Love,

Junhui

I exited out of my email inbox with an efficient click and a quiet groan.

"Jun again?" Dokyeom looked up from his laptop. The library was nearly empty today, and my best friend had commandeered the table next to the Community Outreach desk.

"Yes, Jun again." I said.

"I told you to stop opening them." Dokyeom said.

"I know. I'm only opening every other one. Progress right?"

"You're with Choi Seungcheol. You don't need to be opening another man's whiny, passive aggressive, why-arent-you-here-
to-do-my-laundry emails."

I winced and looked around to make sure there weren't any eavesdropping patrons. "Part of me likes seeing him grovel, even passive aggressively."

"Fair." He mused.

"And another more logical part of me realises that none of this actually matters. The relationship I had with Jun was no more real than the one I'm pretending to have with Seungcheol."

"Speaking of, you two sure are pretending a lot."

"I know the score." I assured him. "Which is more than I can say for when I was with Jun. I didn't get that Jun really want to be with me. Cheol has been nothing but transparent with his intentions."

Dokyeom leaned back in his chair to study me.

"What?" I asked, checking to make sure I didn't have breakfast crumbs on my shirt.

"A woman as gorgeous, smart, and entertaining as you shouldn't have so many half assed non relationships. I'm starting to think the common denominator is you."

I rolled my eyes. "Real nice."

"I'm serious. I pegged Seungcheol and his baggage within thirty seconds of meeting him. But you carry yours closer. Like it's in an emotional care pack."

The elevator doors opened, and Seoyeon emerged, pushing a book cart. "How's it going up here?" Today's non librarian like outfit was slim jeans that ended above the ankles, and a loose shirt with Disney Princess on them.