44

Hani

I threaded the stem of the earring through my lobe and leaned back to admire the effect.

"What do you think?" I asked Mimi, who was sprawled across my bed on her stomach, chin pillowed in her hands. She studied the earrings. "Better." She decided. "They sparkle like Lock's Glass on your shirt and they stand out more when you toss your hair."

"I don't toss my hair." I said, ruffling hers. My niece was more and more willing to tolerate affection from me these days.

"Oh yes you do. Whenever you catch Cheol looking at you, you're all-" She paused to shake out her dark hair and bat her eyelashes.

"I do not!"

"Do so!"

"I'm the adult and I'm in charge and I say I don't." I insisted, flopping down on the bed next to her.

"You also get this mushy face whenever he walks into a room or you get a text from him."

"Oh, is it like the mushy face you make whenever someone mentions Mr Park?" I teased.

Mimi's face transformed into what could aptly be described as mushy.

"Ha! See! That is a mushy face." I said, pointing accusingly at her.

"You wish." She scoffed, still smiling. "Can I use some of your hair spray since you messed up my hair?"

"Sure." I said.

She slipped off the bed and picked up the can I left on the dresser.

"Are you sure you packed everything you need?" I asked, eyeing the pink duffel bag in the doorway. Mimi was invited to Nina's birthday sleepover. It was the first time she'd been spending the night with a non family member, and I was feeling the nerves.

"I'm sure." She said. Her tongue poked out between her teeth as she carefully brushed her hair over her forehead just so before hitting it with a shot of spray.

"I'm working the closing shift tonight, so if you decide you don't want to spend the night you can just call your Grandma and Grandpa or Jennie or Seungcheol, and one of them will come pick you up."

She crossed her eyes at me in the mirror. "Why wouldn't I want to spend the night? It's a sleepover." She was already dressed in pajamas, a request on the invitation. But she was wearing the pink sneakers Seungcheol had given her with the ever-present heart charm.

"I just want you to know that no matter what, you can always call, and someone will be there." I said. "Even when you're older."

I cleared my throat, and Mimi put down her hair spray.

"What?" She asked, turning around to face me.

"What what?" I hedged.

"You always clear your throat before you say something you think someone isn't going to like."

Damn astute kid. "Have you heard from your mother?"

She looked down to her feet. "No. Why?"

"Someone said she was in town not too long ago." I said.

"She was?" Mimi frowned like the news was disturbing.

I nodded. "I didn't talk to her." .

"Does this mean she's going to take me back?" She asked. I started to clear my throat then stopped. I didn't know how to answer that. "Is that something you'd like?" I asked instead.

Mimi was staring hard at her shoes now. "I'm okay here with you." She said finally.

I felt the tension release from my shoulders. "I like having you with me."