48

Hani

Too complicated. Too much. Too needy. Not worth it.

The thought swirled in my head on a vicious merry go round as I marched down the sidewalk, Riperia blurring around me through unshed tears.

I'd made a life here. I'd built up a fantasy in my mind. He didn't want me. He never had.

Worse, he hadn't wanted Mimi either. I'd taken my young, impressionable charge and dragged her into my relationship with a man who was never going to be there for her in the long term.

I'd seen it in his eyes. The pity. He felt sorry for me. Poor, stupid Hani falling for the bad boy who'd make no promises.

And the money. The gall of the man thinking he could break my heart and then fork over cash like I was a prostitute and like it would somehow make everything all right. It added a new layer to the humiliation.

I was going to go to Jennie's, fake a migraine, and spend the rest of the day in bed. Then I was going to have an overdue chat with myself about picking the wrong fucking guy. Again.

And when I was done lecturing myself, I was going to make sure that Mimi never let herself get stuck into positions like this.

Oh, God. I lived in the small town of freaking small towns. I'd see him around. Everywhere. At the coffee shop. At work. This was his town. Not mine.

Did I even belong here?

"Hey, Hani!" Xumin called as he ducked out of the hardware store. "Just wanted to let you know I popped out this morning and fixed your front door!"

I stopped in my tracks. "You did?"

He bobbed his head. "I heard about the trouble and didn't want you to have to worry about getting the repairs done."

I hugged him hard. "You have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you, Xumin."

He shrugged against me, then awkwardly patted my back. "I just figured you had enough crap to deal with and thought you could use a break."

"You're a good man, Xumin."

"Okaaaaaaaaay.." He said. "You all right? Do you need me to call someone? I can have Cheol come get you."

I shook my head rapidly from side to side until the hardware store and its owner blurred before me. "No!" I almost shouted. "I mean, thanks but no."

The door to the Pizzeria opened, and my stomach dropped into my toes when Seungcheol stepped outside onto the side walk.

I turned away, praying for invisibility.

"Hani." He called.

I started walking in the opposite direction.

"Hani, come on. Stop." Seungcheol said.

But with just a few words, he'd permanently lost the privilege of me listening to him when he told me what to do.

"Now, Cheol. I don't think the lady wants to talk to you right now." I heard Xumin advise.

"Step aside." I heard Seungcheol growl.

I was an idiot. But at least I was a fast moving idiot. I walked briskly down the block, determined to leave Seungcheol in my rear view mirror just like my ex fiancé.

"A man doesn't go all in with a woman, it's for a reason.....maybe he's looking for something better.."