Cancer

Mikey Way

  I was sitting in the hospital with Michelle resting her head on my shoulder. She was still a little bit shaken up from the news.

  "Mikey." She whispered.

  "Yeah?" I asked and she gripped on to my arm.

  "I'm scared." She said. She hasn't really said a word to me the whole time. The only person she talked to was Hayley.

  "I don't blame you. I would be too if I was in your position." I said and she chuckled lightly.

  "Thanks Mikes." She said and Hayley and Gerard came up to us.

  "How are you holding up?" Hayley said as Michelle released my arm.

  "Better." She sighed. Gerard at next to me.

  "What happened?" He asked and I sighed.

  "We were at her house and her mom suddenly collapsed. Apparently she had cancer for a while now but she didn't tell anyone." I answer and Gerard nods.

  "That sucks." He says. "I could say something better but I never knew anyone with cancer."

  "Yeah I know." I say and get up. Gerard follows me and we end up in a little coffee station. "Heaven in Hell."

  "Perfect wording." Gee says and laughs as he makes our coffee. "How was Michelle when she  found out?"

  "Torn up. She just stopped crying." I answer. "I wish I could do more to help her."

  "Just being here is helpful for her. Knowing that someone's there for you is helpful enough Mikey." Gerard says. The coffee machine bleeped and Gerard poured the holy liquid into two Styrofoam cups.

  "You can be so cool sometimes." I remark as he hands me my cup.

  "It's what I do." He shrugs and we laugh. When we go back to the waiting room, Michelle and Hayley are working on some paperwork.

  "Hey guys." Hayley says as Gee sits next to her. "This is some insurance papers we have two hours to work on."

  "You need us to get you anything?" I ask as Michelle starts work on the second page.

  "Coffee and snacks." They same at the time.

  "Okay." I say and Gee gets up with me. We walk down a hallway to a couple vending machines.

  "Hi." A little girl says to us. She had big blue eyes and jet black hair. She was wearing one of the hospital's dresses. So she was a patient.

  "Hello." I say and she plays with her hair. "Are you lost?"

  "Nope. I'm just going for a walk." She replies and stares at a pack of Skittles in Gee's hand. "Can I have one?"

  "Are you allowed to?" Gee asked her and she bites her lip.

  "No. My mommy says I have a weird problem with my tummy.  It begins with a 'C'." She says rubbing he  head.

  "Is it cancer?" Gee asked and she nods. "Listen, Sweetie-"

  "My name is Allie." She says interrupting Gee.

  "Allie, you need to go back to your room." He says. She just sort of clings to me though.

  "No. I wanna stay with you two." She whines and clings to me harder.

  "Gee, my leg is losing feeling." I say and try to get her off me.

  "I guess we'll have to just bring her with us." He says and I just pick her up.

  "Come on Gee. The girls should be waiting for us." I say and he follows.

  "Wait." He says and runs into this small coffee store. A couple minute  later he comes back with two cups of coffee. "Okay now we can go."

  "Finally." I say as we continue to Michelle and Hayley.

  "Hey Mikey." Michelle says and eyes the little girl in my arms. "Who's she?"

  "I'm Allie." Allie says and jumps out my arms. "Who are you?"

  "I'm Michelle." She yawns and puts down the papers. I sit down next to her and she takes the coffee away from Gee. "Where did Allie come from?"

  "She wouldn't go away." I say as she crawls in my lap. Allie, not Michelle.

  "Is she your girlfriend?" Allie said as a small woman comes up to us. "Mommy!"

  "Allie." The woman says scooping Allie in her arms. "Why would you run off?"

  "I was hungry and there were men there." She answered. The woman eyed us and I waved.

  "Who are you?" Michelle fell asleep and fell into my lap. "My name is Alicia. Alicia White." (I made up a last name for Alicia b/c I was too lazy to look it up.)

  "Hi. I'm Mikey. My brother Gerard is over there helping his girlfriend Hayley on some papers. And the one sleeping on my lap is Michelle." I said. Alicia gets up and says bye to me and walks off. She  took one last look at me before leaving completely.

  "Mom!" Michelle gasped as she woke up. "It was just a dream."

  "Are you okay?" I ask as she gets the paperwork back in her hands.

  "Yeah. And looks like I finished it. Cool." She says as she sips some of her coffee. "Are the Resses mine?"

  "Sure." I say as she opens the pack of peanut butter cups.

  "How could you have finished it already?" Hayley asks as a short blonde haired kid sat next to me.

  "Hey kid." I say and he looks at me.

  "Hi Mikey." He says.

  "How do you know my name?" I ask and he sighs.

  "I'm friends with Frank. I'm also Pete Wentz's boyfriend. He is currently in the emergency room." He says. "Anyway, I'm Patrick Stump."

  "Hi." I say and he fixes his fedora. "Why is Pete in the emergency room?" He rubs his eyes and sighs angrily.

  "He decided it would be cool to try to jump off the roof while playing bass as fireworks are going off. He ended up getting his ass caught on fire and a broken arm." Patrick says and messes with his hat in worry. "He's an idiot. But he's my idiot."

  "I didn't know that Pete was gay." Gerard says over Hayley's head.

  "I didn't either until he asked me out during band practice." He says.

  "Wait. You have a band?" Gee asks him.

  "Uhhh. Yeah." Patrick says. "Why?"

  "We're organizing the dance and we need a band to play." I say. "So can you play for us later?"

  "I don't see why not." Patrick says as a high schooler with a brown afro and a tattoo littered kid come up to Patrick and sit next to him. "Oh, this is Andy and Joe. Their in the band too."

  "Hi." Andy says quietly and Joe nods in my direction.

  "So what's your bands name?" Gerard says taking Michelle's pen and popped it open, reading to write.

  "Fall Out Boy. Random question, when is the dance again?" Patrick asks.

  "Next Friday." Gee answers and I nod.

  "Cool. We can play a couple of older songs." Joe says a doctor comes out. We all go silent, not knowing who it was for. Then a second doctor came out with an annoyed look on his face.

  "Second one is ours." Patrick jokes.

  "Who is Hayley Simms?" The doctor asked and Hayley stood up. They left.

  "I hope you guys end up okay in the long run." Patrick said. "And here's my number for anything. Call me whenever."

  "Thanks Patrick." I say as he walks away.