The Sharpest Lives

Mikey Way

  I was sitting anxiously on the couch waiting on Patrick's band to get here. He also had my bass. I was more worried about my bass. Gee walked in the room with a cup of coffee in his hand.

  "You okay Mikes?" Gee asked sitting down beside me and turned on the TV.

  "Do you think my bass is okay?" I ask and he just laughs. "What?"

  "Have you met Patrick?" He laughed. "He was careful with his hat. I'm pretty sure your bass is fine."

  "Yeah you're right." I say as the doorbell rings. "I'll get it." I get up and go to the door. I check the little window before opening though. You can't be too sure in Jersey. It was Joe and Andy. I open it and gesture for them to come in.

  "What's up, dude?" Joe says as my mom comes out the kitchen.

  "Who are they Mikey?" Mom asked. She was wiping some flour on her jeans. "Some friends I hope."

  "We are indeed their friends." Joe says sitting down on a chair. "We met not too long ago."

  "What are your names?" She asked while setting out some sodas in front of us.

  "I'm Andy Hurley and he's Joe Trohman." Andy said quietly. He had tattoos littered all over his body. "Nice to meet you."

  "They are very nice." My mom whispered to me and Gee. "Take care of them."

  "Cookies Mom." Gee says and she rushes away from us. "Hey, Joe I can take your guitar to the garage to set up."

  "Cool." He said and follows Gee to the garage. I checked my phone and saw a text from Patrick.

  Patrick: Pete and I will be running a little late. We'll be there in about five mins.

  Me: Ok. Take your time. Then I put it back in my pocket and went to the kitchen to see how the cookies were doing.

  "This is the first time I've met any of your friends." My mom said from the fridge. "Other than Frank and Ray of course."

  "You met Bob before." I say and sit down at a small table. "So three friends."

  "How many are coming again?" She asked pulling out some milk.

  "Two more. Pete Wentz and Patrick Stump. We met them at the hospital." I said and she tensed up a bit. "You okay Mom?"

  "How is Michelle and Hayley doing?" She asked randomly.

  "About as good as you'll think. They visit her everyday." I answer and pop open a Pepsi. "Can I ask you something?"

  "You just did." She smiles.

  "Well, do you think that their mom will live?" She stopped what she was doing and thought for a minute.

  "Maybe. If she's given the time and the treatment." She replies as another knock came on the door.

  "I'll get it." I get up and head to the door. Then I get a text from Patrick again.

   Patrick: We're here! And your bass is okay.

  I open the door and Patrick hands me my bass. It looked fine from what I can tell.

  "We can go to the garage and set up if you're ready." I offer and they follow me.

  "I think we will rock their freaking world." I hear Pete whisper to Patrick. "Like, for real."