Sing

Gerard Way

  I came out of the principal's office proud and tired. I was arguing with Mr. Hoppus all day. It was like six now. But at least I finally got the okay from him to pay Fall Out Boy.

  I got outside and I was met with the chill air. I decided to call Hayley and see how she was doing.

  "Hello Hayley's phone." Michelle said.

  "Michelle?" I asked. "Why do you have Hayley's phone?"

  "She's with the doctors and stuff so she left her phone with me." She explained. "What's up?"

  "I just wanted to know how you two were holding up. Are you okay?" I asked and was met with silence. I heard Hayley crying on the phone from a distance. I waited a few minutes and got to my car.

  "Gee." Hayley sniffles. "You still there?"

  "Yeah. What's up?"

  "My mom just died. She just died in surgery." She cried. "Can you come to the hospital to pick us up?"

  "Sure." I said and she hung up.

  When I got there she was waiting outside with a pack of cigarettes in her hand and a lighter in the other.

  "What are you doing?" I asked as she put them in her pockets.

  "I don't know anymore." She said as it started to rain. She looked up at the sky and let the rain fall on her face. I pulled my hood over my head and she just let herself get drenched in the rain. Then she started to cry.

  "Hayley… " I said as I held her in my arms. I rubbed her back and hoped she would stop soon. "It's okay."

  "No, it's really not." She cried into my shoulder. "I just lost my mom and my sister is being a freaking sociopath about it. And where's my dad you might ask?! Probably dead on the side of the freaking road for all I know."

  "Shhh. It's okay." I whisper, barely audible over the rain. "I'm going to get your sister. Just go to my car and wait there. Okay?" She nods and pulls her hood over her head. I run to her mom's room and see Michelle leaning over her mother's dead body.

   "She's really gone." She mutters. "Isn't she?"

  "Michelle." I run up to her and pull her tightly in my arms. "Hayley's waiting for us in my car. We should meet her there and go to my house. Okay?"

  "Is Mikey there?" She says just below a whisper. I nod and she follows me. My headlights are on and I see Hayley staring out the window at the sky. "Can we get something to eat? I'm hungry." I laugh.

  "I don't see why not." We enter my car and Iron Maiden was being blasted through my speakers. Michelle gets in the back and I start to drive. "We're getting food." I tell Hayley.

  "What kind?" She asks turning the music down. "Because I don't know if you remember but-"

  "I know. You're vegans." I finish for her.

  "Wow. You actually remembered." She said while she stretched out a rubber band on her wrist. "I'm impressed."

  "Hey. Can you expect anything less than perfection from me?" I asked.

  "Yes. I can expect less." She joked. "It's cold."

  "Probably because you're drenched in rain water." Michelle said chuckling.

  "You are such a sociopath sometimes." Hayley jokes and Michelle starts on play some app on her phone.

  "Am not." Michelle said sounding like a four year old. "You are."