unspoken promises - sofia

The sun was setting, casting this golden glow through the hospital window as I lay in my bed, my neck all stiff and immobilized by a brace. The room was eerily quiet except for the soft hum of the air conditioning and the occasional beeping of the heart monitor. Every so often, a faint whiff of antiseptic would waft through the air, mingling with the underlying scent of fresh flowers someone had brought me. My arms were all bandaged up, resting gingerly on the crisp white sheets that looked way too bright against the vibrant orange of my hospital gown. Honestly, it felt like I was trapped in some weird horror movie, but the real horror? Brady's absence. It was like this huge void that swallowed me whole, and every second without him felt like an eternity.

I had hoped that the break we took to figure our lives out would lead us back to each other, but, OMG, reality hit me like a ton of bricks. Waking up every morning was like fighting a war, staring at that empty space next to me where Brady should've been. I felt like I was missing a part of my soul, like a whole chunk of me just disappeared.

From Brady's side, things were just as rough. I could only imagine how hard it was for him, even though we had set those rules—no calls, no texts, no social media. It was like living in silence, and every time I thought about it, my heart ached. I knew he must have felt the weight of our separation, too. One night, the silence must have become unbearable because I could almost feel him thinking about calling me.

When he finally decided to dial my number, I can only picture his hands shaking as he pressed the call button, his heart pounding like crazy.

"Holy st, it's you! How are you?**" I gasped, almost choking on my words.

"Not too bad, I guess," he replied, but I could hear how shaky his voice was, like he was holding back a flood of emotions.

"I miss you."

"Same, wifey. Do you want to end the break?"

"Please, my mental health has declined significantly since the last time we spoke." My voice cracked, almost turning into a sob.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Do you want me to pick you up?"

"Sure."

"Mkay, can't wait."

I was practically buzzing with excitement. But, OMG, it was like the universe had other plans. When Brady arrived, everything seemed to melt away.

"Ahhh, OMG, bae, it's been so long since we saw each other last!" I squealed, my face lighting up like a Christmas tree.

He looked at me with tears streaming down his cheeks, and it hit me like a freight train. "I just had a thought of losing you!"

"What? Why?" I was worried, my heart racing.

"Sorry, but just the thought of losing you would literally make me die inside."

"Well, I ain't dying just yet!" I shot back, my voice a mix of teasing and concern.

"Thank God for that."

But right then, Brady got overwhelmed with emotions and lost control of the car, swerving off the road.

I woke up in this haze of pain and confusion, my neck feeling like it was on fire. Every tiny movement sent sharp jolts through my body. The sterile smell of the hospital room was like a punch in the gut, and I could hear faint murmurs of medical staff outside. I was desperate for help, so I reached for the help button, pressing it repeatedly.