midnight drive and a phone call-brady

It was one of those nights where everything felt still. The air was cool, and the stars dotted the sky like tiny pinpricks of light, each one a distant beacon in the vast expanse above. I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, the soft hum of the fan the only sound in the room. Sleep was elusive, slipping through my fingers like grains of sand. My mind was racing, a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions that I couldn't quite pin down. Every time I closed my eyes, the same images flashed in my mind—memories of happier times, moments that felt like a lifetime ago. With a sigh, I threw off the covers and swung my legs over the side of the bed. The hardwood floor was cold beneath my feet, sending a shiver up my spine. I glanced at the clock on my nightstand—2:17 a.m. The world was asleep, but I was wide awake, the weight of everything pressing down on me. I needed to get out, to clear my head, to just...breathe.

I grabbed my keys from the dresser and slipped on a hoodie, the fabric soft and comforting against my skin. As I quietly made my way through the house, I paused for a moment at the front door, listening to the silence. It was the kind of quiet that felt heavy, like the world was holding its breath, waiting for something to happen. I stepped outside, and the cool night air greeted me, brushing against my cheeks like a gentle caress. My car sat in the driveway, a familiar sight that brought a small measure of comfort. As I slid into the driver's seat, the leather was cool against my legs. I inserted the key into the ignition and turned it, the engine's low purr breaking the stillness of the night. For a moment, I just sat there, hands on the steering wheel, staring out at the empty street. There was something soothing about the silence, the way the world seemed to slow down in these early hours.

I didn't have a destination in mind as I pulled out of the driveway. The road stretched out before me, illuminated by the soft glow of the streetlights. I drove aimlessly, letting the familiar rhythm of the road guide me. The city was asleep, the usual hustle and bustle replaced by a serene stillness. It was like I was the only person in the world, just me and the empty streets. After what felt like an eternity, I found myself at the beach. It was a place I often came to when I needed to think, to sort through the mess of emotions that always seemed to be swirling inside me. I parked the car and got out, the sound of the waves greeting me like an old friend. The sand was cool beneath my feet as I walked toward the water, each step grounding me, pulling me back to the present.

I stood at the edge of the shore, the ocean stretching out before me, vast and unending. The waves lapped gently at the sand, a steady rhythm that matched the beat of my heart. There was something about the ocean that always calmed me, its constancy a reminder that some things never changed. I closed my eyes, breathing in the salty air, letting it fill my lungs. It was peaceful here, almost too peaceful, and for the first time in a long time, I felt a sense of calm wash over me. As I opened my eyes, I found myself staring out at the horizon. The moon hung low in the sky, casting a silvery glow across the water. It was beautiful, serene, and it reminded me of all the late-night conversations I used to have with Brady, back when life was simpler. We'd sit on the hood of his car, the world spread out before us, talking about everything and nothing. We dreamed about the future with the naïve hope that everything would turn out perfectly. We were so sure that we had it all figured out, that our plans would come to fruition without a hitch.

But life had a funny way of throwing curveballs when you least expected it. Things hadn't turned out perfectly—not by a long shot. Life had gotten messy, complicated in ways I never imagined. The plans we made had unraveled, the dreams we shared fading into the background as reality set in. I sighed, running my fingers through the sand, feeling its grainy texture. I missed those nights, missed the way Brady always knew what to say to make me feel better, missed the way everything seemed so clear when we were together. As if on cue, my phone buzzed in my pocket, breaking the silence. I pulled it out, surprised to see Brady's name flashing on the screen. It was so late—what could he possibly want? My heart skipped a beat as I stared at the screen, the familiar feeling of nervous anticipation bubbling up inside me. I hesitated for a moment, then answered.