9. Silence

---

The entire Court was silent at Lord Shao's words, but then they began to whisper furiously.

"Explain yourself!" The emperor demanded, and Lord Shao hid a smile.

"Your Highness, seventeen years ago, the Shao family suffered a tragedy. My wife actually gave birth to twins, but one was stolen away from us...!"

After that, it was too easy.

Lord Shao feigned misery over losing his child, and then feigned heartbreak at having to report her, after finding her, all the while painting Ruoxing as the criminal.

A few officials testified that they had indeed met a twin, and then some other 'handpicked' officials even testified that 'Shao Ruoxing' had been rude and ill-mannered in their presence.

The Emperor didn't particularly trust Grand Chancellor Shao, but nor could he think of a reason not to.

If he refused to arrest Shao Ruoxing, it would seem like he was merely picking on the Grand Chancellor.

So he raised a hand.

"The Capital Guards should accompany the Grand Chancellor to his home and arrest Shao Ruoxing, and she is to be brought to the Dim Palace for questioning!" The Emperor ordered, but no one saw Lord Shao's hidden smile.

The Grand Secretary, Lord Jiang, was a stately looking man with a neat moustache and goatee, and he eyed Lord Shao disdainfully. If this twin was the one arrested, everyone would praise Lord Shao's loyalty, since he gave up his own child.

The Shao family would also avoid any accusations of treason!

Meanwhile, the Grand Commandant, Lord Ming, was a burly man with a ponytail, who looked out of place in the finery of the hall. He also eyed Lord Shao, but more with curiosity.

'Is this 'Shao Ruoxing' the one we're looking for...?'

---

Ruoxing didn't struggle, as the Capital guards entered the small room and dragged her away.

At the Shao gates, they came to a stop before Lord Shao, Shao Furen, and Shao Linjin, who all wore sad and dejected expressions.

It was so hilarious that Ruoxing began laughing.

Lord Shao nodded, and the guards excused them for a short while.

Ruoxing dipped in a small curtsy. "Greetings, Shao Daren, Shao Furen." But there was no air of respect.

Shao Furen fell to her knees. "My child! I don't deserve to ask your forgiveness! I indeed wept when you went missing years ago, and my heart was filled with joy to find you again!

"But I couldn't let Jin'er die! And I couldn't let her suffer in prison! You're used to hardship, but our Jin'er has never had a hard day in her life!"

Her words only infuriated Ruoxing, making her eyes water with hurt and anger, and it took all her willpower to hold back the tears. "Furen, you don't have to say these things. Even if you keep quiet, I already know I'm the sacrificial child."

"Don't disrespect your mother!" Lord Shao yelled, yanking Shao Furen to her feet. "And don't say whatever you like in prison!" He smiled coldly.

"They will torture you endlessly, but keep your silence till you die. If you open your mouth, I'll personally get the Wei family involved! Including the fact that they helped you live as a man!"

Ruoxing's eyes were wide in disbelief and hatred. "So you knew everything? No wonder you felt confident that I won't say anything! Hao! I understand your threats, so don't worry, I'll keep my silence to the bitter end!