20. Engagement

---

Over the next two days, Ruoxing indeed felt like 'thousand gold' (Daughters were referred to as Thousand Gold), as one thing or the other was placed on her to test, or one thing or the other was brought and kept in her room.

The only advantage to those days was that she finally reunited with Lao Zhen, who tearily joked that his 'Young Master' had been replaced by 'some beautiful lady'!

They had spent an afternoon catching up, and Ruoxing had expressed her desire to have him follow her to the Ming Residence, but Lao Zhen reminded her that it would depend on her husband.

The day before the wedding, a banquet was held at the inn, to 'fulfil all righteousness' for an 'engagement' ceremony.

Everyone who was everyone had been invited to the banquet, and Ruoxing was treated to numerous stares, especially since almost everyone knew she was Shao Linjin's twin sister.

Ruoxing had been personally dressed by Wei Furen and one of the seamstresses, so she easily matched the delicate beauty Linjin was known for, but this unfortunately reminded everyone of the Scandal surrounding her and the Shao family.

The comment, "Same face, different grace" was flying around so much that Ruoxing had learned to tune it out, but she was hardly bothered because she expected as much.

The entire thing was considered an uncomfortable event for the Ming and Shao families, as Ruoxing's existence indeed cast a blemish in their somewhat perfect history.

Before now, the Ming family was only known for their military prowess and numerous accomplishments, but now they were known for having a criminal and abandoned child as a daughter-in-law.

And before now, the Shao family were considered one of the best examples of a tight-knit family, with a son and daughter who stood out among their peers and understood their duties, but now there were rumors that they abandoned their own child, and weren't even invited for the banquet!

Which is why Ruoxing nearly spat out her drink in shock, when Shao Furen suddenly strode into the hall.

Her eyes scanned the room and fell on Ruoxing, who felt a flood of panic.

But Wei Furen's hand suddenly slipped into hers, calming her.

"Child, I wanted everyone to see who your mother is." She whispered, making a show of rearranging Ruoxing's hair. "I invited her to attend the engagement of my 'long lost child', who was 'stolen away from me', but has been found!"

Ruoxing realized Wei Furen had used the exact same words in Shao Furen's letter, to invite Shao Furen to the engagement, and she smiled at Wei Furen.

"Mother, you also have a petty side?!"

But Ruoxing still didn't understand why Shao Furen had honoured the invitation. It was something she could, and SHOULD have ignored!

"Don't look at her." Wei Furen caressed her cheek. "She was shameless enough to come, but you don't even have to acknowledge her." Wei Furen rose and left, heading straight for Shao Furen.

She curtsied properly, as Shao Furen's rank was far higher than hers.

"I humbly welcome the Grand Chancellor's wife to our small celebration." She said. "I must apologize, I dared not expect such an esteemed guest, so I have no special preparations.

"But a guest must always be catered for, and made to feel welcome!" This was a direct jab, reminding Shao Furen that even mere guests were treated better than they had treated Ruoxing.

But Shao Furen said nothing as she and her attendants were led to an empty seat, complete with a small table, laden with food, wine, tea, snacks, and fruits.