13. Provoked

---

'Eight days.'

Ruoxing marked the eighth mark behind a new set of masks.

She didn't know why the 'prison demon' had suddenly brought her here. Or why nothing had been done to her in days, and she was even served warm food, water and tea.

At first, Ruoxing had refused to eat or drink anything. After all, who knew whether it was poisoned with a new kind of torture!

But the physician smirked. "If Master wanted to poison you, they'll hold you down, and I'll personally pour it down your thro-!"

"Ah! That means it's not poisoned!" Ruoxing hadn't even let her finish, and she grabbed a juicy chicken leg, tearing into it with gusto. "You can't blame me!" She said amidst mouthfuls. "A devil won't suddenly give such fine food!"

At present, she sighed.

No one said anything, so she wasn't sure if this was a sadistic method to make her relax, and then suddenly resume her suffering when she least expected.

But she was grateful!

Despite her 'punishments' in Black Palace, her weakness from the Shao Residence was largely gone, and the past days had healed her from her 'demon inflicted' wounds.

She was ready for the slightest opportunity!

---

Meanwhile, Yizheng had been away from Black Palace, meeting with a few spies of his own.

"It will be difficult getting into the Shao residence, because the security has tripled!" One had informed him on the second day. "However, we managed to hear some interesting facts. General Wei has been raising an issue in the Shao Residence."

"General Wei? From Xinghua?" This surprised Yizheng a bit.

General Wei was someone he knew somewhat well.

"Yes! Word from our people is that General Wei's men have been coming to the Capital a lot recently, and are looking for information about the Shao residence.

"These men always vanished after a few days, and suspicious carts would leave the Shao Residence in the dead of night. We think the men got caught and were killed within the Shao residence, and this is why High Chancellor Shao has filled his house with soldiers."

"Hmm. Look into General Wei carefully." Yizheng instructed, but under the dark cover of night, he himself snuck into the Shao residence.

He was several levels above most soldiers, so he had no trouble leaping from roof to roof and evading the horde of patrolling soldiers.

And after a few days of doing this, added to more news from his spies, he had discovered more than enough.

That evening, he headed to the same cell where he first met Shao Ruoxing.

'Wei Ruoxing.' He corrected himself.

From what he had heard, she would never want to be referred to as 'Shao', and as he approached the cell, he realized what had been bothering him.

On the day he had seen Shao Linjin with the spies, he had covered his face and deliberately bumped into her to get a closer look.

Shao Linjin had staggered back from the slight shove, and then instantly flared up at him without the least bit of fear or apprehension.

But the day he had met Wei Ruoxing here, it was as if she could instantly tell he was dangerous, and she had correctly guessed his intentions.

Not to mention, he had noticed her slyly checking the bars, or pacing the cell whenever she was strong enough.