23. Protector

---

The maid shook the purity cloth opened, and there was a collective gasp.

"You-!" Ming Taifuren turned an accusing scowl at Ruoxing.

The pretty lady shook her head, as she and her maids covered their mouths in disbelief.

Ming Taifuren pointed at Ruoxing. "Confess, while it's just us women here! Who did you fool around with before marrying my son?!"

Yu Jia quickly knelt and bowed. "Taifuren, it's a mistake! While preparing the Lady, I saw a soiled purity cloth on the bedding!" She bowed lower. "Please investigate!"

"Silence!" Ming Taifuren shouted. "Are you saying A-Liu is lying?! Can you bear the weight of your words?!"

The pretty lady quickly bowed. "Aunty Ming! I can swear that I'm innocent! I went to the bedchamber just now, and this is the purity cloth I found! You can ask the maids here!"

"Oh?" Ruoxing had been too shocked to say anything, but she couldn't remain silent since Yu Jia had already jumped in. "And how do we know you've not instructed them to lie?

"If the Miss is a liar, the maids will have no problem."

"You-!"

"Silence!" Ming Taifuren held up a hand. "You. What proof do you have that your purity cloth was switched? I was already skeptical when I heard you had a male Aide, and you dressed as a man known for visiting brothels!

"Who knows what you're done outside, or with whom you've done it?!"

Ruoxing bowed. "As for proof, I will state it clearly. General Ming and I did nothing last night."

There were gasps around, and Ming Taifuren turned on Yu Jia. "Does that mean you were lying to-?!"

"I wasn't finished." Ruoxing cut in. "It's a decree marriage, where I might even lose my life in two years, so who would bother about things like this? But I'm sure General Ming foresaw your actions." She shot an accusing look at the noble lady, before continuing.

"Last night, General Ming cut himself and soiled the purity cloth. If you want proof, why not ask General Ming where he's injured?

"Also." She turned cold eyes at Ming Taifuren. "Why not call a physician to check my purity? I'll bear the shame, if you apologize to General Wei and Wei Furen! Your accusations and insinuations mean they didn't raise me properly!"

"H- How dare you talk to Aunty Ming like that?!" The noble lady, Lan Liu, took a few strides and raised a hand to slap Ruoxing, but Ruoxing caught her hand.

"Little Miss, I'm not someone you can easily bully." She pushed Lan Liu away with enough force to make her nearly fall backwards. "If this matter is prolonged and I end up proving myself, you'll be apologizing first!"

"Hao!" Ming Taifuren was clapping. "I got an untamed tigress as a daughter-in-law! It's my duty to tame your wild ways! Guards!" The guards came running. "Drag her out and give her twenty lashes of the paddle!"

Ruoxing watched the words leave Ming Taifuren's mouth, and it was as if she could no longer breathe.

The memories of her time in Black Palace completely eclipsed the present, and by the time she came back to herself, she had already taken down four of the guards.

"If you keep resisting, watch if I don't report you to the Emperor for being un-filial! The entire Kingdom will hear that General Wei raised an un-filial child!!"

It was Ming Taifuren's words that snapped Ruoxing out of it, and she released the fifth one in surprise.

"Take her out and beat her!!!" The Taifuren was so angry now, that her face indeed resembled a pretty but venomous serpent.