15. Chess

---

Meanwhile, Yizheng sat across Ye Chenmin.

The two seemed calm, and were drinking tea and playing chess.

But there was an underlying current, as they both gently slapped their pieces on the chess board.

"It was wrong of you." Yizheng broke the silence, gently placing a black piece on the board.

Ye Chenmin placed a white piece in one of the corner dots surrounding the black piece. "I did what I had to do."

Yizheng calmly placed another piece. "You also lied to me."

"I had no choice. I couldn't harm that face." Chenmin placed his own piece.

Yizheng scoffed, and they played in silence for a while.

After his 'discussion' with Wei Ruoxing two days ago, a suspicion had grown within him.

Ye Chenmin was considered the 'nice' one between two of them, so why had he been so dismissive, each time Yizheng felt like Ruoxing might not be guilty?

It hadn't taken him long to discover that Ye Chenmin had been secretly communicating with Shao Linjin, who he greatly admired.

Wei Ruoxing had been right.

Black Palace was compromised, and it was from the Head, his own friend.

Ye Chenmin had only asked Yizheng to step in as the 'Master', because even though he knew Ruoxing was merely a twin, he would still be hesitant, because of her face.

And it angered Yizheng, because Chenmin had always been there to fuel his anger about the Salt Smuggling case, so he would torture Ruoxing, while the real culprit was safe and sound in her father's house.

---

Back at the Government Hall....

"Your Highness. According to General Wei," Lord Jiang continued. "'Shao Ruoxing' had never set foot in the capital until recently, and she only came because Grand Chancellor Shao sent a letter asking her to return!

"By that time, Shao Linjin had already been arrested and fallen ill, so if Shao Ruoxing wasn't at the capital by that time, we must wonder if she is actually the criminal we're looking for!"

There was instant muttering in the throne room after Lord Jiang spoke, so the Chief Eunuch had to step forward and silence them.

'Have Yizheng and Chenmin been punishing the wrong person?!' Grand Commandant Ming wondered, feeling a bit uneasy, but the Emperor's voice pulled him from his thoughts.

"Grand Secretary Jiang, you seem to know a lot." The Emperor said to Lord Jiang, who hastily bowed.

"Ehehe, Your Highness, as you know, General Wei is not one to ask for a favour. This made me listen to him wholeheartedly, when he sought me out for help. It turns out several unknown parties were keeping his petition from reaching you."

His words surprised Grand Commandant Ming.

He knew for a fact that General Wei did not trust the Grand Secretary, so why approach him for help? Why not come to him?

The Emperor turned to Lord Shao. "Grand Chancellor, how do you explain this?"

Lord Shao bowed. "May the Emperor Live for thousands of years!" He saluted. "Your Highness, I don't understand what is going on. I only knew General Wei to have a son, so this might be a ploy to rescue the criminal!"

"Your Highness!" Lord Jiang quickly said. "To untie all knots, how about hearing from General Wei himself? I have made arrangements, and he is here today, begging your grace for an audience!"