6. A Bitter Taste

---

Yu Wen took Ruoxing's hands. "Young Miss! If possible, can you leave this place?!"

Ruoxing gave her a surprised look, especially at Yu Wen's distraught look.

"Aunty Wen, What's the matter?"

Yu Wen ran to the doors and windows, making sure no one else was present.

"Young Miss, I didn't want to say anything before, but all this while, I've noticed you're a rare individual, selflessly kind... You help random strangers in the streets, and you actually care about us maids.

It was true. Ruoxing had tried to befriend the Shao maids she met, but only Yu Wen met her eyes, and now Yu Wen was seriously staring into her eyes.

"Young Miss, I kept quiet because I believed that Shao Furen at least, missed you a lot, but now I'm not sure she will protect you!"

"Wh- what are you talking about?" Ruoxing couldn't understand her words.

"Young Miss, no one stole you away as a child! A sage warned Shao Daren that the second twin would be born in the hour of the tiger, and she would be the downfall of the Shao family!

"When you were indeed born in the tiger hour, Shao Daren instantly ordered your death, and swore all the servants to secrecy!"

"B-but Lord Shao's letter said they looked for me around the capital!" Ruoxing said, feeling somewhat muddled.

"Wo-Peh! (Bullshit)! Why do you think no one outside the mansion knew Young Miss Shao had a twin?!"

"Shao Daren even threw an elaborate party for Miss Shao!" Yu Wen was the kitchen girl from back then, who had been reprimanded by the kitchen Head.

"Now it's suspicious that the same Shao Daren is suddenly trying to introduce you to as many people as possible!"

Ruoxing felt shattered, hearing that her own father had tried to kill her, but there was a small glimmer of hope. Perhaps...

"Perhaps he regretted it! Perhaps, he wants to make amends!"

But Yu Wen was shaking her head. "There's also-." She hesitated for only a second.

"The Physician who recognized you also mentioned that the blood of a twin could be used to save Young Miss Shao's life, and that was when Shao Daren began to question his aide."

Luo San, Lord Shao's aide, had confessed that he couldn't bring myself to kill the child, so he let her be found by a trading caravan. They were heading for the desert tribes, so he thought she would never resurface.

But instead of punishing Luo San, Lord Shao laughed and patted his shoulder.

"So the source of our family's downfall still lives?" He folded his hands behind his back. "Hao! I'll let her take away the misfortune she has brought!"

Yu Wen told Ruoxing everything and then added. "I'm not sure, but I think they are slowly weakening you, so you won't be able to resist, even if you discover their plans! They likely used a poison that won't harm you, so the physician can bloodlet you and cure Miss Shao!"

Ruoxing was shaking her head in disbelief. "But they didn't have to go that far to get my blood...

"Why not just tell me? Wouldn't I be willing to save my own sister?!"

"I thought Shao Daren brought you back so they could discuss saving your sister's life, maybe even make you feel guilty by calling you unfilial.

"But I grew suspicious when they didn't mention it at all, and instead sent you to greet families around the Capital!"