Chapter 14: 9 Crimes

9 Crimes

Jack, October

I'm standing on the dock in the moonlight looking out at the water. When I turn, Peyton is there, still wearing her silver dress.

"Hey, Chaplin," she says softly.

"What are you doing here?"

"Not sure. Looking for you, I guess."

"Where's Lowery?"

She shrugs. Then she steps closer. "You were thinking about him, huh?"

"No." I'm annoyed.

"Sure you were." She cocks her head, mischief alight in her eyes. "About how he might run his fingers up my thighs as he lifts my dress over my hips. And how he'd touch me once he takes it all the way off."

I swallow and nod.

"Then you were imagining that it was you instead of him, weren't you?"

I nod again.

"And were you also wondering what I have on underneath? Whether it's a thong or nothing at all?"

"Yeah, I was."

She gives me a wicked little smile. "Do you want to find out?"

I step towards her, and she looks up at me with those haunted eyes, that sadness I can't even begin to understand.

"I want to see what's underneath," I say.

She takes my hand and leads me off the dock to a cabin I've never noticed before. Inside blankets and pillows spread out before a blazing fireplace. She stands in front of it, peeling her dress up and over her head. She's wearing white cotton briefs and no bra. It's the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

She reaches out to me and slowly begins to unbutton my shirt, then my pants, and slides them off my body. She sinks down into the blankets, the fire casting shadows along her breasts and thighs. I ease myself down to my knees and just look at her as she lies there, so beautiful and perfect.

I'm scared to touch her. It's like I may combust on contact.

She takes my hand and pulls me to her, the warmth of her bare skin sets mine on fire. It's all consuming, this need. But I can't act on it.

Something's off. Something's not right.

"It's okay, Chap," she whispers in my ear. "I want you too."

"You do?"

"Oh, God yes."

When she touches me, I'm lost. Freefalling, grasping for her, kissing her like a madman. I taste her lips, her neck, her nipples, and with the way she moves under me, I find it very hard to believe that she's never kissed anyone until tonight.

That nagging thought returns. Something's off.

She pulls my mouth back to hers, kissing me deeply as she wraps her arms around my back drawing me into her.

I then simply fall away, lost in the motion and miracle of loving her. She's moonlight in my arms, and this feeling is a lot like chasing moonbeams. Always just beyond reach.

But we reach them, finally, and they shatter into a million drops of light. Euphoria and exhaustion flood through me as we lay there together, just breathing until we fall asleep.

*****

I can't open my eyes. Someone obviously dropped my head down a well after stuffing my mouth with cotton. I feel morning lighting up the room, but if I open my eyes, I may go blind.