Chapter 20: Crush

Crush

Jack November

Well, the season and my football career are officially over. Dad keeps trying to get me to send highlight videos to colleges because he seems to think I've got the size and talent to play at the next level. My brother Jake did it, but he also ate, slept, and breathed the game. When Jake played for Blue Lake, we were actually pretty good. That was before Cash came on the scene and our quarterback and coaching staff were actually dialed in. Jake played slot receiver and led the team in receiving touchdowns. And while I've racked up quite a few rushing TDs over the years, it's only because our passing game was so abysmal. Anyway, I may try walking on at whatever college I'm actually able to get into, but the whole recruiting things seems like one giant pain in the ass.

I'll play spring ball, though, just to hang out with the guys and travel around in the seven-on-seven league. It's kind of like flag football without the flags. I hope Peyton decides to play too. She seems a little lost since football ended. I see her out there on the track, alone, just running laps around and around every day after school. I texted Emma about it the other day, and she was super sketch about the whole thing.

Me: Peyton okay?

Emma: I think so. Why?

Me: She's always by herself after school just running laps.

Emma: She's probably just burning time waiting for me to be done with cheer practice—competition season is coming!

Me: Also, she seems hella sad.

Emma: Yeah. It's a hard time of year

Me: ???

Emma: There's just stuff going on. She doesn't want me to say anything to anyone—doesn't want people to feel sorry for her or something. She can be kinda stubborn 🙄

Me: Ya think?

Emma: IKR? But I can tell you a secret—her birthday is Friday. She probably doesn't want anyone to know that either. So, I didn't tell you!

Me: I gotchu. Thanks, Em.

Since today is Friday, I'm planning a little surprise for her—told the boys to meet me at the field for a pick-up game after school. She loves football more than anyone I've ever met, so I figure it'd be a nice thing to do.

When I pull back into the lot, it's a little after five, but the sun is already setting because of daylight saving and everything. She's trucking around under the lights wearing wind shorts and a crop top.

Poetry in motion.

I think back to the first time I saw her and how it felt like I'd been struck by lightning. And how confused I was about feeling something like that for a dude.

Maybe Bree was right—sometimes, you see someone, and you just know. Something about that person touches your spirit in a way no one else ever has. That's what it was like for me the first time I saw her smile. And when she played on that field, my heart would soar, just to see her so happy.

I'm standing at the gate leading into the stadium when she spies me. She stops dead in her tracks.

"Go long!" I yell. And she does—she runs off the track heading toward midfield. I send a long bomb into the sky, and even though it's a little overthrown, she's still able to snag it with a flying leap. She thuds to the turf and rolls a couple of times.