6. Crescent.

The stairs were endless as Tara dragged herself upward, her legs heavy and weak. Stopping outside the door, her knees nearly buckled, and she braced herself against the frame. With a hurried motion, she fumbled for the keys, then stumbled into her apartment, collapsing to the floor.

Darkness enveloped the space, and the silence that ensued was only broken by the faint sound of a wail that pierced the stillness.

Tara hunched over, resting her forehead on her arms as her body convulsed with sobs. Tears streamed down her face unabated, tracing paths of dejection as she surrendered to the overwhelming wave of sorrow. 

Her mind raced with questions, each one a sharp jab at her already fragile sense of self. What did she ever do to deserve all of this? Was it her own negligence that led to her plight, or were the perpetrators solely responsible? And if they were to blame, could she absolve herself of any guilt?

Her legs ached from the prolonged, uncomfortable position she was in. Yet, Tara remained frozen, unable to summon the strength to move. She could only lay limp and lifeless like a corpse awaiting its burial.

She'd comforted herself that everything was going to be fine, clinging to the belief that the police would help avenge her. They were going to bring justice and serve it cold and hard to the monsters that ruined her. But reality had shattered that illusion, leaving her feeling betrayed and helpless.

Evidence this. Evidence that. Evidence every fucking thing. Each demand felt like another blow to her already bruised and battered soul.

Couldn't they at least pretend to care, to make an effort? Couldn't they lie to her just to ease her into returning to her everyday life? It would have been better than this cruel indifference, blatant disregard for her feelings, and cold dismissal of her suffering.

Tara's torrent of pain-filled howls weakened to snivels as she lamented her innocence and broken psyche. Her heart, once vibrant and lively, now felt like a heavy burden within her. It screamed in her chest, threatening to burst and stain everything in a dark, vicious crimson.

Flopping to her side, she hugged her legs, gently rocking back and forth in a feeble attempt to soothe herself. Yet, her mind couldn't help but wander and stray.

Her exams were creeping in, and her assignments had piled up. But, she lacked the slightest hint of energy to simply contemplate addressing them. Hell, she had no energy even to remain alive, let alone take her tests.

Hate, hate, hate.

Tara despised everything and everyone. The monsters, the police, the lawyer, her exams, the teachers, the university, the people, and most of all, herself. With her eyes tightly shut, she wished for nothing more than to vanish from existence. She wished she'd never been born.

Death seemed like a tempting escape, and it licked its lips, reaching out to embrace yet another great find. 

But amidst the darkness, a defiant, faint glimmer flickered to life.

Why should she wish death upon herself and entertain thoughts of self-destruction? Wasn't she the one wronged? Hadn't she faced challenges and injustices before, emerging stronger each time?

The spark grew into a quivering flame.

Why should victims carry the burden of shame for the actions inflicted upon them? She held on despite the pain. She survived. So, why should she surrender to despair while her tormentors roamed freely, unpunished?

Pushing herself into a sitting position, Tara stared out her window at the slender crescent outside, fighting for recognition among artificial lights.