7. 526.

Time passed in a blur of tenebrosity, a deafening silence, and restlessness.

Sleep offered her only fleeting respite, drowning her in dark recollections for a mere couple of hours before she jolted awake, gasping and drenched in sweat. The nightmares served only to steel her resolve.

Closing her eyes provided no solace, leaving Tara to sit in the dimness, gazing into the void. Yet, amid the oppressive stillness, the rhythmic beating of her heart acted as a comforting reminder.

Thump, thump, thump.

It was a steady beat, reassuring her of her survival and reminding her not to lose sight of her new mission. 

It beat once, twice, too many times before a light bulb flickered to life in her head, and she began to count. Tara didn't stop until the first rays of sunlight slipped through the curtains.

Her eyes were wide open and they glinted with determination as she forced some food down her throat. Her jaw was clenched, her mind racing with one idea after another until all her thoughts merged into one plan.

Tara wasted no time selecting a nondescript outfit for her mission, one she'd worn when moving into her apartment—a pair of loose and torn jeans, an old, tattered hoodie, and a frayed baseball cap pulled low to obscure her face—ensuring she wouldn't be easily identified. Then, she applied makeup to alter her appearance, smudging and darkening her features to resemble that of a homeless person rummaging through trash.

As soon as she stopped outside her beat-up car, her phone rang, and her heart sank at the sight of her mother's name on the screen. Tara opened the door, then thought better of it and picked up. She needed the backup of the noisy street to cover up any tremor in her voice.

With a deep breath, she swiped up. "Mommy," she greeted with forced cheerfulness, her cheeks aching from the effort of maintaining a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"That won't fool me, young lady," her mother chided gently, though the relief was evident in her voice. "If I didn't know any better, I'd have barged into your apartment by now."

Her mouth opened and closed multiple times but no sound came out. Tara swallowed hard, lips quivering and eyes watering. I wish you did, she thought, unable to voice her true feelings. Fortunately, her delayed response was masked by the cacophony of a passing truck.

"You're out?"

"Yes," Tara replied, clearing her throat and managing a heavy sigh. "Just drowning in assignments. You know how it is. That's why I haven't been in touch."

"Oh, my sweet child." 

The mom then launched into a tirade against whoever dared to burden her precious offspring. Tara hesitated, realizing this was a chance to open up. Gripping her phone tighter, she felt the words clawing at her throat, begging to be released. 

"I...I can't," she trailed off, her eyes widening in alarm at her unintended confession.

"Hm?"

"I can't talk for long, Mom," Tara quickly added. "I probably won't be as available as I was before. Things are getting pretty intense."

"Text me now and then, Yeah? Make sure to eat well and-"

"And don't go out at night," her father interjected. Of course, he was listening. "Study well, T. Stay healthy!"

I can't, I can't, I can't.

"Okay," she forced out through a curtain of tears and constricting airways. Thankfully, her parents were too busy bickering to notice anything. She hung up and climbed in.