𝟎𝟏𝟓

╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ACT ONEˊˎ-

╰┈➤ ❝ [𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟎𝟏𝟓] ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

୨⎯"I thought I was the overthinker?"⎯୧

ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵃᶻᵉ ᴿᵘⁿⁿᵉʳ ⁱᵐᵉˡⁱ

The words "Wicked is good" echoed in Thomas's mind, but he couldn't make sense of them. "What's out there?" Thomas questioned as flashes of his past invaded his thoughts - the Maze, lab coats, a screen.

"Can you hear me?" He heard a woman's voice calling out to him, her face blurry except for crystal blue eyes. Not the familiar ones of Madylin, but another pair, ones he couldn't fully recognize. "Thomas, I'm sorry," the girl said again, her face slowly coming into focus as she stood over him. Everything felt like a blur as so many things were flashing through his mind, yet she was clear. Thomas tried to take in the girl's features - her blue eyes, pale skin, and long charcoal hair. Who was she? Why was she apologizing?

"Thomas," he heard his name be called out again, but it wasn't the girl hovering over him. "Thomas."

Thomas's eyes shot open, feeling a hand gently placed on his mouth. His initial panic subsided when he saw it was Madylin's hand covering his mouth as she stood next to his hammock.

"Shhh... It's just me," she whispered, placing her other hand to her lips. "God, finally you're awake..." She motioned for him to follow her.

Thomas nodded, jumping out of his hammock, and looked around at all the boys who were still asleep in the area. He had no clue what time it was because of the lack of a watch but he could only imagine that it had to of been early.

Madylin quietly weaved her way through the area of sleeping boys and out towards one of the four walls, Thomas following quickly behind.

The girl held a knife in her right hand as they walked through the grass. "It's peaceful, right?" she broke the silence between them. She looked back at him quickly as she continued to walk. "It wasn't always this way... At least that's what Ably, Newt, and Gally have said. We've all had dark days. We've lost a lot of boys to fear. To panic... To the Maze," she explained, looking back at Thomas before looking towards the homestead — admiring it. "We make do with the best we got. Alby and Nick Established order, and made peace between the boys for the most part."

Thomas listened to the girl talk. "Why are you telling me this?" he asked, furrowing his brows in confusion.

"Cause you're not like the others," she looked back at him, "you're curious... but you're one of us now," she stated, turning back towards the wall.