Chapter 26

POV: Arthur

I see my brother drinking glass after glass, and try to stop him but he doesn't care. He seems too bothered by something, and I feel a bit lost. Wasn't this supposed to be for me in a way, to think about something else and have a great time together? Because yes we danced and chatted a little, but now he's basically stuck to the bar and probably more drunk than he looks like. Which says a lot.

I try once again to get him to stop drinking but he suddenly pushes me aways, looking desperate. Alright, then he can fuck off, I'm not his babysitter. I myself feel a little tipsy and therefore exclaim a little too loudly my surprise when I check my phone. There's a message. And not anyone's message in fact.

~ from Ollie ~ : hey can I call you? I have to tell you something...

Feeling my heart beat faster, I turn off my phone, not knowing what to do. I am so scared of what he's going to say, what if it's not to apologise? And there's Charles, I can't leave him like that, on his own. A second message draws my attention back to the device in my hand, and I quickly read it.

~ from Ollie ~ : please it's important Arthur.

I decide to go for it and call him, but first I need to go somewhere quieter, while still keeping an eye on my brother. Where is he, by the way? I only stopped watching him for two minutes and he disappeared from my sight.

Suddenly feeling overwhelmed by the situation, I scan through the happily dancing crowd to try and find my brother. But he's nowhere to be seen and I start getting scared. What if someone recognised him and tried to target him for whatever reason? Shit like that happens so quickly in those clubs...

— Charles?

I try to call him but the music is too loud, everyone is too loud. And I still haven't answered Ollie's texts. Finally, I manage to get a glimpse of Charles t-shirt from afar, and immediately walk towards him. But when I get closer, the horror of the situation hits me. He's not alone.

POV: Max

The ringtone is loud in the silence of my living room, and I decide to go to my bedroom to have a bit more privacy. Who knows what Charles is going to say? But for now, he doesn't seem to pick up.

After the third try, I start to get a bit worried. But maybe he's just busy, that must certainly be it. Nothing to worry about, really. As I am about to hang up, he finally answers the phone and I can see the blurry images of the club around him.

— Hey! I simply say, well-aware that he's in a crowded space right now.

— Maaaax, his voice tells me that he's had more than enough to drink, and I sigh.

— Charles, can you go somewhere where we can talk?

— Y- Yes, his cheeks are red, and he looks avoidant of any type of eye contact.

I furrow my brows in interrogation, unsure about what's happening. It looks like there's a few people around him, but one woman in particular draws my attention. I can't see her very clearly but she definitely looks like someone I've seen around Charles quite often. Her red hair makes her very recognisable.

Starting to feel a bit unsecure, I try to stay rational and stick to the facts. I know Charles is loyal, he would never flirt with anyone while we're together. Right?

The fact that he's had a bit too much to drink makes me feel hesitant though. What if with alcohol... no, he wouldn't, even after a few drinks. I sit on my bed, waiting for Charles to get away from the crowd. Once he's outside, under a street light poorly lightning the scene, I talk again.