CHAPTER 13

Ab kis disha jaun, 
kit me basera paun
Tu jo thame sambhal jaun oo ho
Saiyaan mere saiyaan

~

Ayesha's POV

“Ayesha, you need to stop blushing and focus on your work, alright?” Rekha snapped me out of my thoughts. 

“I ain't blushing.” I said, hiding my face as I turned to keep the vessel on the counter.  

“Come on girl, stop lying. For the past three days you have been blushing and zoning out without any specific reason. Or you do have a specific reason, oh sorry specific someone.” Her voice turned a little bit teasing at the end. I turned to find a small smirk playing on her lips. Oh no. 

I agree I have been blushing a lot for the past three days. I still can't get over the warm touch of his lips on my forehead. The feeling of affection and security I got from him, from that one chaste kiss. The scene keeps on replaying in my mind and I couldn't help but end up blushing. 

“Ayesha!” She exclaimed. “Not again.” I just chuckled and concentrated on the dish I was preparing. It was all real, not a dream. Abhir was here, with me, loving me unconditionally, without me even asking. I always felt that I was begging for love from my friends back then. But he so selflessly loves me, even when I said I could probably never love him back. He trusts his love over my mistrust upon love. 

I can't help but feel guilty. Guilty of committing a sin. For not reciprocating his love. He deserves it all. All the love and the best in this world. Not some pathetic people pleaser like me. Someone who is so submissive and couldn't stand up for herself. Who can't let go of her past and lets it haunt her, destroying her beautiful future. 

I sighed and shook my head a little. I distracted my mind from these thoughts and concentrated on my work. The whole day passed. It was 10:45 already. I was ready to leave when,

“Ayesha! Wait, Everyone wait. We have something to announce.” The manager said. The restaurant was already closed and there was no one other than the staff of the restaurant. I waited patiently for him to continue. 

“So this is good news for you Ayesha!” For me? Okay. 

“As we know that we are officially opening our new branch soon, the management has decided to make you the head chef of the new restaurant. You will have your own team under you whom you will assist and help. Congratulations on your promotion Mrs Ayesha Rathore. Keep it up. Good wishes for you.” He finished and handed me a bouquet of flowers. The hall suddenly erupted into cheers and hoots. I could feel everyone congratulating me one by one, but all I felt was numb. 

I went blank, unable to feel anything. I should be happy, but I was not. I should have reacted but I was not able to. I was standing in a dark room, where everything was pitch black, no light, nothing. Only one incident is running through my mind. I should be happy that I got promoted, but I was feeling like a loser. They sympathize with me.

I do not deserve this post. They just want to make me come into the limelight. They did this so that I can get an opportunity to come forward and be famous. It was just to push me into the limelight, nothing else. I do not deserve this, I know. 

“I don't think any of the winners were deserving. Nobody other than Sahil was deserving. Nobody else deserved the prizes. It was unjust.”

“It was just to push them into the limelight. Y'all are already famous, everyone else should get a chance nah? So it is just a boost for them.”