7. Confrontations and Confessions

I turned around, expecting it to be a creep or some drunk chick looking for some place to puke. I was definitely not expecting Kaleb to follow me outside. 

"Hey kitten. What's wrong? Why'd you leave?" He started walking towards me. I could still see the red lipstick stains on his mouth. I turned around quickly before the alcohol made me do something I regretted. 

I was already really tipsy and the drink a guy had handed to me before I stepped on the deck was stronger than I imagined. Everything looked hazy and bright. The world was spinning and I was uneasy on my feet. I stumbled and mumbled out a reply. "Needed some fresh air."

I spun around too quickly and lost my balance. I waited for the hard impact of the deck floor but it never came. Instead a spicy smell of earth filled my senses and made my knees weak. 

"Hey whoa. Looks like you've had a lot to drink." He stood me upright but I was still clinging on to him because the floor just wouldn't stop moving!

"Hey hey! Listen! It's my favorite song!" The faint lyrics of All of Me by John Legend could be heard through the glass. Kaleb smiled down at me and my stomach tightened. 

"Can I have this dance?" Kaleb held his hand out to me and I slipped my soft cold hand into his larger and much warmer ones. 

"Why are your hands so warm? That's not fair. Do you wear mittens? Can I have your mittens please?" Kaleb just chuckled and shook his head. He started swaying us to the music but my feet were all over the place so finally he just took my heels off and lifted me onto his shoes so he could lead. Not having anything much to do, I just rested my head on his chest and entangled my hands around his neck, careful to avoid touching his hair. His cologne was making me drowsy and my eyes started to close. 

Suddenly, the deck door slid open again and this time, I didn't bother to look. I was content where I was. 

"Well well well. If it isn't the golden couple." A nasal voice cut through the air and made my back stiffen. Her distaste was almost palpable as she looked down at us with her nose high in the air. "Stop being such a slut Maddie. You're always all over him. Don't you understand that he's obliged to hang around you because of your family? God. You're so desperate."

Her criticisms cut deep but I slowly got off Kaleb's shoes and turned to face Sammi. Kaleb was just about to speak up and defend me but I put a restraining hand on his arm and he obliged. 

"First off, my name is Maddelyn. Only my friends call me Maddie. Kaleb and I are...friends so of course we hang out with each other. There's no need to be jealous. Just because he picked me over you doesn't mean you have to be such a bitch. And speaking of desperate, I thought I made it very clear that you and I are not friends anymore. So why are you following me around like a dog looking for a treat. Do you want me to hang a poster up in school? Seriously can't you take a hint. Don't insult me and try to put me down to make yourself feel better because it obviously isn't working." I took in a  deep gasp of breath and entwined my fingers with Kaleb's and started forward.

Just before I passed her, Sammi broke out of her stunned silence and threw her red wine on me. She glared one last time before turning on her heel and stomping back in the house. 

"Oh wow. Well let's get you changed and clean." Kaleb grabbed my hand and led me upstairs to his room.