Ch 10

Slowly waking up I immediately feel like something is wrong I sitting up in confusion only to hear pounding on my apartment door. It's then that I notice the thick smell of smoke I quickly scrambling out of bed and rush to the front door opening it I surprised to see Lionel he saying in a panic. "Come on before the flames get worse." I quickly grab my phone and wallet and a picture of me and my mom before I follow him downstairs coughing at the thickness of the smoke and cringe from the heat of the flames nearby. The sprinkler system installed isn't working which has me confused but Lionel drags me to the front door through a small path that isn't touched by flames yet. We make it outside I coughing pretty badly slowly managing to calm down and take some breaths then slowly turn around to watch in horror as my shop and home burns down in flames. Feeling emotionally broken soon the fire trucks, police and an ambulance arrives the ambulance workers having me and Lionel sit on the back of the ambulance and get checked out while the police starts drilling Lionel about what happened I also a little curious about what happened and why he's even here only to be shocked by what he says next. "I was walking around with my brother and his friends and they got this idea to unhook the sprinkler system and throw a Molotov cocktail to uh get rid of the disease...." The police officer narrows his eyes then takes Lionel into custody for more questioning I in shock about everything that's happened before I pull out my phone and call Jay. It takes a while but he eventually answers sounding groggy and confused. "Colin what's the matter?" I immediately start to break down into tears saying shakily. "Jay I need you to come get me please. They burned down my shop and apartment. Everything's gone." I hear him inhale sharply before he says reassuringly. "I'll be right there." I give a small "okay" before reluctantly hanging up. I just sit there sitting on the edge of the ambulance staring at my destroyed apartment/shop. After quite a while I hear someone shouting my name I immediately turning my head and am relieved to see Jay I quickly hopping down and rush over to him he immediately pulling me into a hug. We cling to each other for a moment before he slowly pulls away cupping my face in his hands looking worried. "Are you okay?" I take a shaky breath but nod. "Lionel saved my life. His brother and his brother's friends unhooked my sprinkler system then caught my shop on fire because of me being gay. He ran in and got me out. But the police took him in for questioning." Jay frowns a little looking pissed off. "If I ever see those guys I'm going  to teach them a lesson. I'm glad Lionel helped you but he should have stopped it from happening." I shrug looking miserable and tired his expression softening. "Let's head back to my dorm and let you rest. You can borrow some of my clothes." I nod silently and let him lead me over to the car we getting in the back and I stay quiet as we drive to his dorm. He leads me inside and to his room quietly he motioning to his bed and I take a seat on the edge while he digs through his closet. He hands me a simple shirt and shorts I taking them and he says softly turning his back to me. "Go ahead and change I won't look." I quickly change then tell Jay it's safe to look he turning around and gives me a little smile. I suddenly rub my eyes though feeling exhausted and his expression softens. "Take the bed I'll take the floor." I immediately frown and say pleadingly. "Please sleep beside me. I don't want to be alone." He blinks in surprise then blushes but nods and we carefully get in the bed I instinctively reaching out for his hand and hold it before slowly starting to doze off.