Freedom - A Bounty of New Experiences

It's been a weeks since we left the republic, and we've had a nice time just making more and more headway towards the federacy. I was usually not piloting a juggernaut since they wanted me to rest, but the quiet of this whole trip was beginning to get me paranoid. It was so bad I spent three whole days awake, even Kaie couldn't convince me to sleep. Despite it all, Cronus had yet to appear, and it was beginning to drive me insane. I had the juggernauts to keep me focused though, mostly because some were beginning to break down despite all the work I put in, but aside that, it felt like a nice walk or bike ride. Maybe a golfcart ride, but I never had any of those in this or my past life, so it was just speculation.

But as of now, it was nightfall, and despite the fact recon units liked this area, everyone was having a party. We had packed a lot of extra food and water, even more canisters of gas since we had so many of us. Our ammo is still rather high despite what we used, but that's not the point, with the legion being louder tonight, I was sitting on the side of this dance routine from those who sought to do so. Daiya and Anju were dancing the night away, the day I spoke of Daiya potentially dying must have awoken some feelings within them, and everyone seemed to notice. It was nice to watch, because it took my mind away from the legion who were screaming in my head, I couldn't hear Cronus anyway, so I didn't bother trying to focus on it. The breeze in my hair, the smell of the dew covered grass, the sounds of whatever attempt at music they were playing and the river flowing, it was all a nice feeling. 

I heard some footsteps, someone said, "I knew you'd be somewhere away from it all." It was Kaie, and she was quick to sit next to me, but she didn't speak more than that. We sat in silence for a while, but Kaie seemed to have other plans, "I want you to dance with me." For a moment, I didn't register what she said, but when I did, I looked at her confused, "You want me to what?" Kaie looked to me, a smile on her face, "I want you to dance with me. How did you not hear me?" I responded, rather flabbergasted, "No... I heard you. But.. I can't... dance..." Kaie looked at me for a moment, but she suddenly began to laugh, and when I saw her laughing face I felt my heart skip a beat before beginning to beat faster, she said, "You think we know how to either? We're just doing what we feel is natural." 

She stood up and grabbed my hand as she did, and once again, the legion went silent in my head. When she pulled me up, I asked, "Why does your touch always make the legion go silent in my head?" She looked confused, but I didn't stop speaking, "What about your touch makes the voices go away?" She seemed to understand what I was saying, I only gripped her hand as she spoke, "When I hold your hand, the legion voices stop in your head?" I nodded, putting my free hand to her face, "I still don't know why it happens, why are you so special? Why do you seem to bring me this... calmness?" After a moment, I realized what I was doing and pulled both hands back, my cheeks felt like they were on fire, "I'm sorry Kaie! I didn't realize what I was doing!" 

Kaie was blushing as well, I think we both understood what I was speaking about here, but she grabbed my hand again, "I still... want to dance with you." I felt a wave of ease slip through me, which gave me a sudden idea. I pulled my hand from hers, lightly, but before she could get upset, I did a slight bow, "Lady Kaie, may I have this dance?" I watched her face shift from confusion to a smile, "Yes, I would love a dance." In that moment, I felt happy, taking her hands in mine as we danced to the sounds of the distant music the others were playing. I watched her smile as we danced poorly, but to me, it felt like were were the only two people in the whole world. No Legion, our squad wasn't mere feet away, just me and Kaie.

Shin POV

Daiya and Anju wrapped up their dance, the players of music kept playing, and others took to dancing in their place. I was about to turn in for the night, but Kurena tapped my shoulder and whispered, "Hey, come look at this." She had a smile, and I assume it made me curious to what she wanted to show me. When I got up and let Kurena guide me, it turns out her and a few others had noticed Kaie and Grey dancing on their own. It wasn't as good as those who danced more often, but they didn't seem to mind. Raiden pulled me away from the obvious view and whispered, "Don't let them see you! They're having a moment right now." As I watched, I made a quiet mention, "They look like Daiya and Anju when they danced." This got the two, as they were also nearby, rather flustered.