Chapter

Chapter 7

Inaya POV

Flashback

As soon as our mother summoned us down to the kitchen, Fatima slammed me against the wall. I was left following in with a pain grimace and a limp after being smacked in the side.

"Someone has been racking up my phone bills."

I swallowed, trying not to reveal my guilt. Fatima and I instantly raised our fingers, as we decided to blame each other. Even if I was guilty of the crime. Fatima wasn't far away. Fatima has millions of friends. I was recently speaking with a stranger whom I have yet to Google. I enjoy the mystery. I want her to tell me what her name is. What fun it was to stalk her?

Plus, I liked how she used it as an excuse to see me again.

"Fatima, you know you talked to the entire globe over the phone." I overstated the truth.

"Me? I caught you doing it a couple times."

"Calling a few firms to find a job is different." I lied. The fact was that I hadn't yet discovered my passion, or what I truly wanted to do. I did nursing, but I wanted to pursue something more enjoyable. Something like cooking, except my mother stated it wouldn't cover the whole mortgage and take care of both her and me. Yes, my mother was old-school. She spent on me, therefore I should reciprocate.

It was somewhat fair. It was similar to an investment strategy.

"In just a few weeks, it went from 34 to 50 dollars. I have to feed both of you, and so forth."

"Momma, this is not me. This is Fatima." I proceeded to pitch the stick at her. So, yes. I was covertly speaking with Ms. Mystery. I enjoyed the way she made me feel. My twenty-five years of life were just incredibly dull. I loved how she seasoned it. We mostly flirt, which makes my heart race. It's not as if I've never been in a relationship or flirted.

It's simply that I didn't feel like sitting over a cup of tea with my mother and gossiping about who I liked.

"Fatima, when will you start looking for jobs so you can go to college? Life is not getting easier. You need an educational title to your name."

When Mom asked this, I knew an argument was about to begin. I wasn't as brash and outgoing as Fatima. When I will take everything my mother throws at me and kick it around. Fatima tosses it back at her full power.

"I've told you. I want to be a plus-size model."

I snickered. She sent a sneer my way. Fatima has a great figure and a beautiful face. Is it just because being a modeler was not a genuine thing? Maybe for Bella Hadid and other females, but not for us because we are poor and have no network. No status. Do you know how long I dreamed of being a singer, writer, or chef? I even considered modeling, but I had to open my eyes and understand that those paths do not pay the bills. Working in jobs you despise, slaving away, is what pays the bills.

"Get a job, Fatima." Mom deadpanned. "A legitimate part-time or full-time work in order to attend college. I got you this far."

That was another thing.

Mom wanted us to sort everything out on our own. She's like a lizard; she hatched us as grownups, and we need to sort it out fast.

"I do not want to be a nurse or whatever." She said, looking at me. Nothing was wrong with becoming a nurse. I completed many internships at around six hospitals and am available to apply for jobs if desired. I just wanted to have some fun before taking life seriously.

"How long do you think my employment at the laundromat and the cafe will survive, huh?"

"As long as eternity. Until you die. Inaya is the one who is rising the phone costs, not me. Plus, mom, you're so cheap, that's just $15."

My mom emerged from behind the counter. She wrapped her arms around my waist, giving it a comforting squeeze. I grinned since mother was about to laud me as the better daughter.

"Seriously." She sneered beneath her breath. "I didn't lift the phone..."

"This isn't about the phone bill anymore; it's about you. You're squandering your life and should be more like your sister."

I chuckled, noticing the sorrowful, downcast expression on her face. Yesterday, she won for cleaning the porch, and today, I won for simply being.

Mom kissed my cheek and then walked out of the kitchen. "You prick, you know you've been on the phone."

"To contact the companies..."

"Liar. You do not laugh and giggle when speaking with a high-ranking corporation for a job. I was not born yesterday."

"And what if I'm talking to someone else? It still doesn't change the fact that I am the btter daughter.

"It's only for the day. Tomorrow, I will dazzle you again." This was our everyday game. We sought to outshine one another. Seeing who will receive the position of "the best daughter."

**********

Flashbacks continue...

Inaya POV

"So, I was thinking of somewhere easy. You seemed like a laid back girl."

I giggled while rolling around in my creaky daybed. Every time I moved, the metal squealed and wailed. My room, and possibly the entire home, has yet to be renovated.

Everyone in our neighborhood has perform renovations at some point, but due to a lack of funds, my mother allowed us to smuggle in a few old furniture pieces from the garbage.

"What made you think that?" My lips pursed into a sneer.

"I figured you did." The phone felt hot and sweaty, so I transferred it to my other ear. We'd been on call since 10 p.m., and it was approximately 1 a.m.

"Where do you have in mind?" She inquired as the night progressed, her tone deepening.

"How about a pizza place?"

"Really?" She questioned. "Are you certain?"

"Yeah."

I don't believe I could leave the house with a well done hairstyle and a lovely clothing without becoming the focus of attention. I knew someone was going to see me.

"Pizza, then."

"Please give me your name this time."

"Something tells me that you don't truly want to know me, love."

I flushed at the endearment. I rolled my eyes. It was simply an endearment. I spent half the day making up scenarios of me and her on a casual date, but each time it would lead to us having sex.

"I do not want to know you through the media." I certainly didn't want to stumble onto anything I didn't want to see in the first place. My slogan for her was "maintain a good attitude toward her."

"I might tell you my name." She was clearly grinning.

"Might? Will you use that as another reason to take me out on a date?

"I believe you are receiving the memo."

Gosh! I blushed profusely. I lay over on the bed again, lifting my head slightly and peering beneath the black hole. Why would she want to date me in the first place? I was a regular thing, just walking around?

"Tomorrow?"

"Huh?"

"For our lunch date."

"Yes, certainly." I'll just make up something and inform my mother.

"Should I pick you up?"

"No!" I yelled, jolting up into a sitting position on the bed. "I mean, I will meet you there." I haven't had the chance to get to know her yet, so I still want boundaries between us. But if she keeps asking me, I just might forget about the barriers.