9 | Y/N | Since When Did He Come On Mornings?

The next day, to your absolute luck, you didn't face your boss. That was a good thing. You counted that as a sign of your day starting off right. After all, you didn't want to see his reaction once he found out you were using the bakery resources to test out your recipes.

Not the usual recipes, which you perfected like brownies or cakes. But rather the infuriating ones that seemed as if no matter how much you tried, it was always doomed. 

Even now, as you stood before the counter, another failed batch of macarons awaited you. You picked at the tops, casting them nasty looks for not daring to bake properly. 

Shiori giggled at your reaction, patting your back. 

"I know, I know." You could practically hear her thoughts, groaning. "Practice makes perfect." You slumped, your head resting on your elbows as you looked up at the woman wearily. "You say that so many times it's ingrained in my dreams."

Shiori raised an eyebrow. "No. Although, good that you do listen to my words, but I was going to say that that man has been waiting for 5 minutes."

You perked up at her words. You quickly turned on the spot to see that indeed, there was a customer at the counter. At your expression at being caught 'slacking', the older woman grinned, whispering in your ear, "He came in yesterday asking for you."

It was the regular, the man you also met by coincidence last evening. This time, he was here in the morning again. 

"Oh, Kento." You murmur, the name floating easily to your mind.

Shiori snickered upon hearing your words. "You know his name? What is he, your boyfriend?" 

"No, no, I just know him because." Your face went warm at her teasing, even at the mere mention of dating him. "I'll tell you later." You bring the tray with you as you are already on your way to the counter.

"Don't forget the details!" Her voice called out from behind, subtle hints of laughter in her voice. 

That woman was sure to draw every last description of your encounters from you the moment you get back. You suppress a giggle at the thought; she was like an aunt but without the toxicity.

As you reached the public setting, you cast Kento a smile. "Welcome back. Lovely morning, isn't it?"

Why was this so much more nerve wracking this time? There was no problem the other days. Maybe, since now you knew him officially, it felt more personal and real. Like seeing a passerby at school or work, and wanting to be friends. Nervous to mess up encounters with them. That realm between friends and acquaintances; wanting to be more than just a fleeting figure. Instead of a nameless customer, you now had a man you could call by name, and that in itself seemed reason enough for your hands to shake slightly as you gripped the tray tighter. 

For a second, you were irrationally conscious about the macarons in your hands, as ruined as the last batch, the tops cracked and frayed. 

Kento's eyes flickered to the tray in your hands, his eyes subtly brightening.

"Do you need me to taste test them again?" The blond offered. The dark bags under his eyes were not too prominent to overshadow his sharp features, softened by his subtle expression.

Your eyes widened slightly. "You don't mind?" 

"Why would I mind?" He said in a straightforward fashion, not missing a beat. 

He didn't have a reason, but the fact you'd say that showed that for some reason you did. So, the man prompted you to explain your reasoning out loud so you'd realize how unfounded they were.