Chapter twelve

He woke up confused, and wonders where he was and what happened. He was laying down on some guys outdoor couch, but he didn't recognise where he had seen the pattern.

He blinked a few times for his eyes to adjust to the harsh morning light and then pressed the palm of his hand into his eyes as the splitting headache hit him like a truck.

There was a stench in the air and he scrunches his nose wondering if that was him. He took a whiff of the shirt he was wearing and makes a face, it was definitely coming from him.

Standing, he finds his phone in his back pocket, 22 missed calls from jazzy, 30 texts from jazzy and 2 missed calls from dad. Shit.

He quickly dials your number, and grabbing a beer bottle off the table and taking a swig, not a care in the world about what was in it or who drank from it.

"Rafe!" Your voice sounding relieved, "I have been calling you-"

"Yeah yeah." He mumbled, "don't talk so loud. I am aware I've been out all night."

"Where the hell are you Rafe? I have been worried sick. You didn't come home last night, you weren't answering your phone and not one of your friends were answering either."

He chuckles, finally takes a look at the yard, it was a mess from last night. Red solo cups, beer bottles all over the lawn.

He felt around his pockets and found a blunt in his shirt. He puts it between his lips and he grabbed a nearby lighter.

When he took the first puff, he could feel the high as it hits him immediately. "I'm on the way home can you just chill out."

You pressed your fingers to the bridge of your nose and took a deep breath, you had been up all night thinking he might be dead.

When Rafe managed to find his keys and where he had parked his truck, he'd driven home, nursing a bottle of water. He hoped you had made breakfast for when he arrived because he was starving.

The gate to tannyhill opened and he made his way down the long driveway. He didn't see your car in its usual spot. Maybe you went out to get you both some breakfast instead.

When he enters the house, it was quiet. He glanced to the left where the door to his father's office was he didn't want to see him now so he headed up to your shared bedroom where he finds a note, it was addressed to him.

Dear Rafe,

You need help and I've done my best to be there for you and be the support system you need but I can only do so much.

You're not the same man I fell in love with, a while ago, I miss him, I hope you find him again.

I will not stand by anymore and have to watch this endless cycle continue. Goodbye Rafe.

He would be lying if he'd said he did not put a big hole in the bedroom wall and had the big bottle of whiskey by himself.

He couldn't even remember the last couple of days he stayed wasted so he didn't have to deal with all the pain of you leaving

"Another one." Rafe taps the bar next to his empty glass before throwing another hundred dollar bill down.

The bartender was reluctant but poured the drink, Rafe grabbed the bottle from his hands, "I will just take this

The bartender was reluctant but poured the drink, Rafe grabbed the bottle from his hands, "I will just take this." The bartender sighed before he walks to serve another person.

"I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

He knew your voice anywhere. He turns quickly in his bar stool and sees you seated only a few chairs away, one of your pogue friends sitting down next to you.

He stumbles off the bar stool, making his way over.

"Jaz." He slurs, "you're here."

"Yeah I was here eating with kie." You find him a bench outside, "before you interrupt me with your drunk ass self."

You shake your head in disappointment before you let go of him, "I'm calling you a cab."

"No-" He tries to reach for your phone but you just move it away. "Please."

"Yes." You say sternly, "you're drunk and I am not letting you drive home like this."

-

3 months of rehab and Rafe was back to his usual self. It was a long road for recovery but he had to do it for you.

You met him at the bar, no longer able to hold it in and he engulfed you in his arms, "hi baby."

******************

"Why did you ignore me today huh?" He says, as he looked down at you.

"Why did you fight jj today?" You say, as you turn to look at him as his eyes widen. "Who the hell told you?" He responds.

"I don't know what you expect me to say to you, he fucking deserved it."

"Why the fuck would you go and do that?" He says, grabbing your shoulders and grips them as rough as he can.

You winced slightly, turning your head to the side, but he turned it back to face him, gripping hold of your chin to look up at him. "Rafe, stop it, you are scaring me." You say, tears forming.

"I don't care jaz, never fucking do that shit again, do you hear me?" He says, as he pushed you away from him while he paced back and forth.

"You're fucking pathetic, you're seriously choosing those pogues over me?"

"I am Rafe, you've shown me that you don't want to get better, it hurts me to say this." You whisper the last few words, tears falling from your eyes as you look up at him.

"I guess topper was right, you know? You are not worth shit." He said, his words hits you with pure hatred.

"You don't mean that."

"That's where you are wrong, jazzy, I mean every fucking word."

Without looking at you, he walks past you, and he grabs his car keys from the counter before turning to look back at you, his fingers holding on the door knob.

*************************