Chapter 1: The Funeral

After Prim's death, things were never quite the same. Her funeral was held a week after the war ended, and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever attended. Her coffin was made of Willow, her favourite tree, and painted with little birds. Of course, her last little resting place was laden with Primroses. Me, Mum, and Gale made speeches. I was up last. By that time, I was sobbing hysterically. As I talked, my eyes blurred, and ragged breaths dotted every few words.

I could see Gale in the audience, a look of guilt carved in his face. He knows that he took it too far. I loved him. I really did. But he took it too far. I can't love him anymore. Not after what happened. Mum sat next to him. Tears like little waterfalls. She loved Prim so very much, even if she never said it. This has hit her so hard after nearly losing me twice. I think that she assumed that because Prim played everything so safe, she wouldn't have to worry. Yet she was wrong. And I hate that.

Through all of the misery and that sensation of such deep grief that I felt I would never be the same, one person was there to help me pull through. My Peeta. Standing there with his blonde hair and blue eyes, a safe haven from the world.

Me and Gale were held responsible for carrying her to her last resting place. As we carried her, neither of us could look each other in the eye. He looked at the ground. I focused on one of the Primroses, telling myself that she was in a better place with Dad. With Dad.

As we laid her to rest and covered her little body with soil, it felt as if my heart was being buried with her. Never to re-emerge.