Chapter 3: The House Around the Corner

It's been 6 years since Peeta took my hand in marriage, and I still love him just the same, perhaps even more if that is humanely possible.

Yet Haymitch has changed for the better. Three years ago, he announced his undying love for Effie. They started dating a month later.

Today, we were invited over to their place for dinner. I think it is just a casual friends night together, but Peeta seems to think that it is something more than that. He is usually right, but I don't like admitting that.

Peeta takes my hand in his, and together, we walk around the corner towards their house. Effie greets us excitedly at the door and shows us in. We sit down, and then Hamitch grandly serves us a massive slice of chicken and leek pie each.

As I cut into mine, something glints at me. I tell Haymitch that there is something in my pie. He just smiles. Tentatively, I pull it out. "A ring?" I laugh. "Haymitch, I'm already married!" Haymitch stares at me. "Not you, sweetheart." And with that, he pulls the ring from my grip, gets down on one knee, and proclaims ,"Effie Trinket, I choose you, and I'll choose you over and over and over, without pause, without doubt. I will choose you every single time. Effie, you complete me. So, Effie Trinket, will you become Mrs Abernathy and do me the honour of marrying me?"