3| a hop, skip, and jump away

WYATT

3 WEEKS LATER 

"AND WITH THAT, this year's graduating class of World Builders! They have worked hard. They have faced many challenges. And they are ready to take on their worlds," Kalahan finished her speech with a wink, causing a small chuckle to move through the crowd.

I could feel my heart beating in my chest. Today was the day. Fortis had been submitted to inspection two days ago, and today I would learn if my hard work had been worth it.

If I had wasted seven years of my life, or if my climb to the top was beginning tonight.

In the amphitheater, all cadets and ranking officers were in attendance for the graduation.  However, it wasn't just for World Builders. Each specialized force in EXO had a special training program and everyone graduated on the same night. Depending on the difficulty of the specialty, the length of each training program varied.

World Builders were the rarest and most in demand of any specialty.

"And now, if you would join me in welcoming to the stage..." Kalahan paused, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. She knew what she was doing. "Jackie Sullivan!"

Jackie let out a relieved breath next to me, her eyes creasing at the corners. She was trying to stop the smile from blooming across her face, but she was failing miserably. That girl radiated pure sunshine as she strode to the stage, accepting her official World Builder patch. 

I choked back the jealousy. Of course I wasn't called first; I never was.

"Congratulations on your excellence in the program. I look forward to working with you as a colleague and inspiration," Professor Kalahan opened a polished mahogany box. The way Jackie's eyes nearly popped out of her head, you would think the patch was glowing and came with a choir of angles.

 I took a measured breath. I would need to learn to control my emotions better.

Jackie accepted the steel diploma Kalahan offered her next, before continuing on to the end of the stage. Kalahan turned and picked up another diploma and patch.

"Congratulations, Clara Wiley!" 

Clara smiled softly before making her way to the stage. I had taken a peek at her world. It was all light and airy and artistic. I couldn't wait to visit.

The nerves continued to climb up my throat as Alex and Emmet were called. They brought different things to the table. Alex was incredibly boisterous, hyping up the crowd as he moved towards the stage, commanding the attention of everyone in the audience.

And Emmet was the genius you never saw coming. While no one stood and clapped for him, I had no doubt he was my biggest competition. 

Kalahan went through the motions once again, leaning down to the microphone on the podium in front of her. "Next up is Wyatt Kerr!"

I heaved a sigh of relief, feeling my shoulders relax away from my ears. I looked over at Lucas, who was trying to mask the fear that was slowly spreading across his face. When he looked at me, I almost thought I saw a little regret in his eyes. And then he blinked, and I didn't know what to say.

"It's going to be okay. I promise," I whispered out of the corner of my mouth before hopping to my feet and striding towards my future.

I smiled when Kalahan set the reassuring weight of the steel in my hands, positively elated as I read my name carved into the hard surface. And when I opened that wood box, I could barely stop the tears from running down my face. The patch was a gorgeous blue, a large purple planet with symbols of design, physics, life, and balance orbiting it. It took my breath away. That was what all of my hard work had earned me.