12. bourbon

WE VISITED SEVERAL stores, weaving through the busy streets of New Orleans as we passed the unremarkable strangers.

I had been carrying several bags, my presence fairly undetected as Olivia raved about her thoughts on different fabrics and color schemes. Camille had offered her small smiles throughout the entirety of her speeches, her eyes bright with excitement. 

"Do you have any shoes? We can get a few pair of Mary Jane's and some heels, obviously. Ballet flats, stillettos..." Olivia trailed off and I resisted the urge to groan at her antics.

"Olivia." I said her name sternly, though I had said it so often in these past few hours that it seemed to unfaze her.

She rolled her eyes over in my direction.

"It's getting late. We should be getting Camille some dinner, don't you think?" A hint of sarcasm lilted at my words. She had always scolded me for my forgetfullness of mortality, though I seemed more on top of providing regular meals to Camille than she was.

Olivia's frowned, unable to protest.

"Where would you like to eat tonight, Camille?" I asked, leaning against the edge of a building that rounded to an abandoned alleyway.

Camille's brows knitted together in confusion.

"You already paid for all these clothes. I think I should really⎯"

"Sylvain," Olivia responded and I nodded in agreement.

"I'll drive us there, unless you want to order a cab." I offered to Olivia and she smirked.

"Actually Lil, I think I'll drive Camille. We'll meet you there at seven," she hummed cheerfully.

My eyes narrowed and she winked.

What was that little bat up to?

Camille stared at me with a look or terror on her face.

"You're going to leave? But your car..." she breathed, panic clear in her voice.

I wrapped my hands around her waist, tugging her body closer to mine. It was hard to ignore the spread of warmth that followed, even through the thick fabric of her sweatshirt.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be there waiting for you," I told her earnestly, never leaving her gaze.

I pressed my lips to her forehead in a soft kiss, sighing in relief as her scent invaded my senses.

"Okay," she whispered into my chest, wrapping her arms around my torso in a loose hug.

I stepped back, breaking myself from her embrace slowly.

I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it, looking into her eyes intently.

"You should eat before we get there, Lilith." Olivia told me, slightly more serious. I glanced over Camille's shoulder to see her suddenly stoic.

I nodded.

"I'll be there at seven." I told them, though my gaze was focused on Camille. She seemed unsure and cautious, fidgeting with her fingers. It was an anxious habit of hers, something I had picked up on almost immediately.

Her knuckles cracked and I grimaced.

Camille grinned at my pained expression and I narrowed my eyes in a feign annoyance.

"There's something in here for you, as well." Olivia offered the bag she had kept hidden from me and my eyes narrowed.

Her lips curled in a mischevious smirk.