ii. late nights to noisy mornings

♪ - reflections; the neighbourhood
"so don't go, oh, no, just stay."

S. CURTIS' POV

"Soda, wake up."

"Hm." I rub my eyes open to see that the living room is now completely darkened with no one to be found, with only the slight noise of the TV being on.

"You fell asleep earlier on the couch, Darry told me to wake you up before I leave so that you could head up to the room." He whispers.

"What? No I don't want you going home." I respond to the only part I truly acknowledged.

"Soda -"

"No, your shit excuse of a dad doesn't need to have you any more beaten up. You're going stay with me in the guest room. I'm sure no one stayed the night anyway." I drag myself off of the couch and try not to trip on a sleeping Two-Bit. I swiftly make my way over to the guest room, hoping he follows.

"Plus, you deserve a nice rest. We both work complete shifts in the morning." I speak while opening the doorknob to the room, giving him no choice but to give up and stay.

"Okay. I get it." He says, solemnly, taking his DX button up and tank top off as he walks over to the bed, leaving him in just his jeans.

I quickly turn away, not knowing why I was so flustered because of him, again.

I did the same, switching out my uniform for a white t-shirt and a pair of grey sweatpants that were in the drawers here.

I had my back turned to him as I changed, yet, I could still feel his eyes on me.

Once I had put on my clothes, I slid into bed next to him, and when I did he had already started snoring, and fast.

Great.

The next morning I had woken up to a ruckus outside the room already.

Steve wasn't by my side anymore, so I had assumed he contributed to some of the noise.

It was Friday, so everyone was pumped to get through the day, leading to the weekend.

When I walk outside the room, I'm greeted by a plate of eggs with grape jelly by Darry.

Ponyboy liked his eggs hard, Darry liked them on a bacon and tomato sandwich, (boring.) And I liked them with grape jelly.

Clearly.

"Thanks Superman." I joke, and get to eating without even sitting down.

I make my way over to the couch, stuffing my face.

Two-Bit sat with half of a chocolate cake to keep him quiet on the ground, along with a beer.

This early in the morning?

I shoved down the rest of the food on my plate, unaware that Steve had been watching me for what seemed like the entire time.

He laughed, making his way over as I slowly put down the metal fork.

"Eggs with grape jelly cannot be that good Soda." He exaggerated the word, 'that.'

"Don't knock it till 'ya try it." I said, getting up and putting my plate in the sink, starting to rinse off the dirty dishes.

I cleaned off the last of the plates and silverware, putting them on the dish rack. I then headed to the shower before Ponyboy could get in.

It was always a thing in the morning on who got in the shower first.

And it was always him.

I stepped into the shower once I slipped off my clothes, and let the warm water hit my skin.

God, this felt amazing.

I poured some shampoo into my hand, and then soaped up my hair.

I repeated the same thing with my conditioner, rinsing the both off, running my hands through my knotted, once greased-down hair.

When I was finished doing the whole daily shower routine, I wrapped my green towel around my waist tightly, and stepped out to be met with Ponyboy messing around with his hair.

To me, it looked like he did actually get in the shower first like always, must've been while I was asleep.

I was about to make a comment on how his hair was fine, but got interrupted by Steve right by the doorframe.

"Hate to tell you, but you have to wear pants to work. There's a law or something."

"We're gonna' be late if you keep making comments like that, Steve." He looked me up and down, and then moved out of my way as I rushed to my room.

I soon realized I had no idea where my extra uniform was. So there I was, running back into the living room.

"Where's my DX uniform I just washed?" I asked Darry, and I noticed he was messing with Steve, who had a chunk of chocolate cake in his mouth.

"I ironed them, they're in my closet." He said, putting Steve back down on his feet, making him drop a piece of the cake he had been chewing.

"Hurry up, you're going to be late." He exclaimed.

"I know, I'm hurryin." I went back to the room, and threw on my clothes. I wore a white shirt and the DX button up, along with dark washed jeans and plain white socks.

"Shoes." Steve pointed at my feet as I walked back out.

I grabbed my sneakers by the door, and then I was finally ready to leave.

Darry waited by the door for the two of us, and if he thought i was going to let him drive all of us...

He quickly did his tool belt across his waist, and then we all left after I hollered out for Pony to come on.

We all shuffled into the stuffed car, and I took hold of the wheel.

"Sodapop don't drive reckless, it's too early." Ponyboy begged as he leaned back tiredly into the seat chair, and Darry actually agreed with him for once. Along with a joking Steve.

"Darry, we'll switch spots once I get to the DX." I said, starting to drive off in the busted up Ford that he's had.