v. just one drink

♪ - should i stay, or should i go; the clash
"darling, you got to let me know, should i stay, or should i go?"

S. CURTIS' POV

It was barely past 1pm when I had gotten to the house.

Ponyboy was at school until late with track practice, and I'm sure Johnny would go watch him run.

Steve was staying until five to finish his shift, Darry would be roofing until later than usual, Two-Bit was probably out day drinking and picking up some broads, and Dalla's was in the cooler again . . .

Meaning no one would be home for a while.

It was weirdly calming, a feeling that was once again, rare here. I decided to take the moment in and rest.

My red, swollen, cried out eyes proved that I deserved it.

I'm awoken by Steve slapping my leg, and it feels like I had only gotten just a solid five minutes of sleep.

"We're going to the party. It starts at 6:30, and it's 6. Get up."

I stuff my head more into the pillow that I had been holding onto.

"I'm not going." I grumble.

"Oh yes, you are."

"Steve . . . "

"Soda, get up. Now. Get your mind off the girl for some time, let loose."

He yanks the comforter off of me, and pulls me up forcefully by my arm. "I'm not going to let you rot here because of her."

"Now that you're half way up, Put on something nice. And do your hair . . . jeez." He laughs and ruffles my hair, while grinning like an idiot.

I end up cracking a slight smile myself, all because of him.

"Darry! We're heading out now!" I holler, letting him know as I pull on my shoes.

"Can I come?" Steve shoots Ponyboy a glare as he asks.

"Never mind."

The two of us walk out, and head to Darry's truck. He had let us borrow it just for tonight, so there wasn't a chance of either of us getting jumped, or robbed.

"Cmon' Steve, don't be so rough on my brother." I enter Darry's Ford, turning on the radio once the car starts going.

"Can't help it. Must be his face, It irks me." I smack his arm, and he pulls out of the rocky driveway with a sly sneer.

The radio floods the car abruptly, and our ears are quickly filled with 'Should I Stay or Should I Go," by The Clash.

I give him a smirk, and we both know what was going down next.

After singing for half of the car ride, we ended up at the infamous Buck's place.

Steve parked slightly away from the building because of the hood's who come here, and slash tires.

We both agreed it was better, in order to not hear Darry's mouth about it.

The two of us walk up the short amount of steps, and are lead to a rusted door being set to stay wide open.

When we walk in, the bright red fluorescent lights that circle the room blind us, along with the scent of cheap alcohol to our noses.

"Heya Steve!" I turn at the sound of Steve's name being called out, and there is good ol' Dalla's Winston.

"Dal, what're you doing out so early?" Steve questions, sitting on a barstool in front of Dally, and I do the same.

Dally light's a cigarette, and takes a deep inhale of the smoke. "They let me out early. Good behavior."

"What'dya... suck their -" A random dude, I'm sure Dalla's knows, interrupts.

"I'll beat the tar oughta 'ya if I hear some shit like that come out your mouth again man." Dal points the burning stick at him, and the guy immediately backs off and away from behind the bar, moving back to serving the other half crocked men sitting around.

"Anyways, now I'm here. I uh, saw Two-Bit around here earlier, but he's disappeared since. Probably fuckin' some blonde as we speak right now."

"You got that right." I commented, as Steve spun on the chair, now facing the bar.

"Steve how'd ya get that bruise?" Dally motioned towards the now reddish purple bruise that lied o Steve's cheek, it had started to fade, but you could still tell the beating was harsh.

"Soc's." He slumped down in the stool.

"Could I get a Coor's?" Steve asks after, and is immediately slid one down the bar counter.

"Thanks." He pops open the can, and takes a sip before continuing on the conversation.

"Dal, if you see Ponyboy, let me know. Darry will have his head if he finds out he snuck out to come here."

"I'm not a snitch, but I'll keep an eye on 'em if I spot him." He dangles the cancer stick from his lip as he speaks, and I'm surprised Buck hasn't passed by and told him to take it outside by this point.

"Alright."

It's something.

"Soda, you want anything?" Steve looks at me quizzically, and I promptly returned a nod, even though I knew I never drank. Ever.

I had gotten drunk of just plain living, that was my motto.

One, however, wouldn't be bad though, right? I needed it, after all to somewhat loosen up.

"Could I get two more?" Steve asks over the blaring music, and the next thing I knew, both me and Dal were being handed an ice-cold can.