iii. sandy

♪ - roslyn; bon iver, st. vincent
"won't let you talk to me."

S. CURTIS' POV

Steve and I have been working on separate cars for the past few hours, I'd been changing the tire on mine while he . . .

I realized I didn't know what he was doing.

I was jacking up the vehicle I had been working on, and decided to ask what he was doing so we weren't just moving in silence the entire time.

"Steve, what are you doing? You're too quiet." I asked.

"I'm testing the car's battery voltage. Owner thinks it's dying out. I might need to replace it for a new one if anything."

"Oh, okay."

"Hey, uh..." he started, "did you hear about the party tonight?"

"I heard. I just forgot about it." I said, removing the flat tire.

"I was thinking about crashing it if any of the gang went, you up to coming?"

"I'll go if you do." I lifted the spare tire beside me into its place.

"Okay, and ya' got company." He mumbled, and I turned to be met with Sandy.

"Hey baby." I said, looking for the wrench I had placed nearby me an hour ago.

"When's your break time, Soda? I have to talk to you." She said, holding her head down.

"You could go right now if you want." Steve poked in our conversation.

Sandy's head perked up, and she eyed me for a response.

"Okay, I'll go right now." I didn't want to, but I got up and we both headed off to the Dairy Queen that was right by the DX.

It was convenient.

She standes there nervously fidgeting with her hands after we both ordered barbecue sandwiches after arriving.

"I'm leaving." She blurted out, while she held her head down once more.

I had been mid-bite when she said that, I had almost choked.

"What! When?"

"I... I don't know, Soda."

"Why?" I ask, somehow feeling like this may be my fault.

"I just can't tell you that."

Huh?

"I'm going to be with my grandmother. I'll be alright there."

"But what about me? Sandy, I mean, what's going to happen with us?" I shout, slightly unaware of my own tone.

"I'm sorry, Soda." She digs in her pocket and hands me the money back for the sandwich, before pacing off, with an apology as her last words.

Had she cheated? And felt guilty, making the decision to pack it up? I thought to myself.

But no, oh it had been so much worse than just that.