Chapter 9: Comfort

Sunoo's POV

"You ready?" Sunghoon's question hung in the air, and I nodded, tightly clutching Jake's makeshift spear. We moved cautiously, Jungwon opening the door for us. Jay and Heeseung led the way, going through the silent night streets, trying not alerting any zombies.

Silently, we moved through the darkness, the only sounds our hushed footsteps and the soft rustling of leaves. The night spared us, no zombies in sight as we traversed the deserted city.

As we walked, I glanced at the remnants of the once-thriving metropolis, now reduced to ruins. The silence was overwhelming, I remembered how lively the city was in the past, but now, it's gone so easily just... like that...

Crossing an intersection, we found abandoned vehicles. "Sunghoon, there..." I pointed towards the cars.

Sunghoon relayed the information to the group, and we dispersed to check for resources. After some time, Hanni's subdued shout led us to a promising find, a large van, a potential escape from the city.

1...2...3... Go! Jay shattered the van's window, and we took cover as zombies approached. Good thing Niki thought fast, diverting their attention with a well-thrown rock. Jay seized the moment, moving into the driver's seat and unlocking the van.

"Get in!" Jay urged, and we piled into the van. The cold metal beneath us contrasted sharply with the adrenaline coursing through our veins. As Jay ignited the engine, the headlights unintentionally attracted zombies. Jay plowed through them, using the van as a battering ram.

Jake's suggestion broke the silence, "Jay, turn off the headlights now. It will alert zombies." And Jay did.

In the ensuing darkness, Jay inquired, "Are we going to the airport or back to our houses?"

Sunghoon's voice pierced the black void, "Guys, if our families survived, they're probably at a safe place now..." I bit my lip, holding back tears as thoughts of my family tugged at my heart.

Summoning strength, I echoed Jay's decision, "To the airport then."

As the airport loomed in the distance, Jake's skepticism materialized, "This place looks abandoned...  and infested with zombies... Are you sure about this, Sunghoon?"

Defending his choice, Sunghoon asserted, "The officials said in case of a disaster, this is our evacuation area. It's tall, strong, and wide."

As we cautiously entered the airport, a lone zombie shuffled into view. Jay swiftly moved, attacking it from behind before it could pose a threat.

Sunghoon, taking charge, proposed, "Let's split into three groups – one on each floor. Niki, Jay, and Jungwon on the first; Jake and Hanni on the second; and Heeseung, Sunoo, and me on the third."

We agreed on the plan, distributing ourselves across the different floors. On the third floor, Heeseung, Sunghoon, and I moved with caution, scanning the area for any signs of life or danger. Our efforts yielded little, aside from scattered rations left behind.

Attempting to establish contact with the outside world, we tested several cellphones we found, but none had a signal. Collecting eight functional phones for future use, we decided to take a break on a nearby bench.

Sitting, I voiced a question that lingered in my mind, "After this, what now?"

Sunghoon, deep in thought, suggested, "Let's stay here for now. What do you think, Heeseung?"

Heeseung, seemingly unfazed, replied, "Sure." The weight of uncertainty hung in the air as we contemplated our next move in this desolate sanctuary.