Chapter 4

Hot shot woke up on Monday morning. The nurses were all keeping Hot shot very busy. They were checking his vitals and one took some blood from his Hickman line. Hot shot was pretty surprised how much needed to be done this morning. Hot shot then had his breakfast.

Hot shot then was taken to the radiology department. Hot shot saw all the different things there. There was a lot going on. There were a lot of kids there. Hot shot was there for his radiation therapy.

Hot shot saw his friends there and began to play with them. "I am wondering what else is going to happen during radiation therapy," Hot shot said.

"I know it doesn't hurt," Medix said.

"I am wondering a few things too," Whirl said.

"But my mommy told me it is nothing to worry about," Hoist said.

"My mommy told me that too," Wedge said.

"Well we all made special masks for our radiation therapy," Hot shot said. "We just have to find out what happens," he said.

Hot shot was playing with his friends when a nurse came out. "Hot shot," the nurse said.

It was Hot shot's turn. Hot shot went back and the nurses checked his vitals. "Hot shot where are you going to get your radiation treatment?" a radiation therapist asked.

"To my head," Hot shot said.

"Us radiation therapist will ask this question every time for safety reasons," the radiation therapist told.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was soon in a big room. There he saw this really big machine. "This is the radiotherapy machine, it is what gives you, your radiation treatments," the radiation therapist said.

Hot shot climbed up on the bed. Then laid down. "Okay now ready for your mask?" the radiation therapist asked.

"Yes," Hot shot answered.

The radiation therapist placed on mask on and clipped it to the table. "Okay Hot shot do you want to hear stories or listen to music?" the radiation therapist said.

"Music," Hot shot said. "I would like to hear songs from Pokemon," he said.

"I think we have that mix," the radiation therapist said.

"Cool," Hot shot said.

Then they got the machine into position. "It might take a while to get the machine in the right position," the radiation therapist said. "The radiation treatment can taken anywhere from a few minutes to thirty minutes," he said.

"Okay," Hot shot said. The mask had a hole in the mouth area so Hot shot could talk.

"You will be alone in the room, but I will be in another room and I can see you, talk to you, and hear you, so there is nothing to be frightened of," the radiation therapist said.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

"There we go it is now in the right position," the radiation therapist said. The machined was in the right position. "Now I am going to leave the room, but remember what I told you okay?" he said.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

The radiation therapist went into another room. Then the machine started up and music from the Pokemon TV series and movies began to play. Hot shot was relaxing as the machine did it's work. Hot shot stayed very still and focused on the music.

Hot shot heard the machine working. It was a whirring sound. There was a big of a bright light too. There was even a weird smell. Hot shot was wondering if that was normal. He thought of asking about that later.

Then after about 20 minutes it was over. The radiation therapist came in. "Okay Hot shot you are all done for today," the radiation therapist said. "You did really well," he told him.

"Thanks," Hot shot said. "Is it normal to hear a whirring noise, see bright light and smell something weird?" he asked.

"Yes that is normal some kids do noticed those things," the radiation therapist answered.

"Oh, okay," Hot shot said.

Then Hot shot came back to his mother. Hot shot was ready for his chemotherapy. Hot shot was a bit nervous about it. Hot shot watched the video about chemotherapy. Hot shot learned many kids get nervous about it. He had to remember that chemotherapy is a very important medicine to help him in the long run. He learned it destroys cancer and stops their growth. Hot shot learned of the possible side effects and how it was given. Hot shot saw that chemotherapy isn't so bad, just a little bit strange at first. Hot shot was now ready to start chemotherapy.

A nurse came in with some medicine for Hot shot. "This medicine is to prevent side effects from the chemotherapy," the nurse told him.

"Oh," Hot shot said. Hot shot took the medicine without a fight. "Yucky," he said. "it is still yucky like the rest," he said.

"Yes many medicines are yucky," the nurse told him. "But the medicine will help you in the long run," she explained.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Then a bit later the nurse came back with a bag of medicine. "This chemotherapy medicine is one of the chemotherapy medicines for your kind of brain tumor," the nurse said. "There are others you are going to take too," she said. "You might even get a few by mouth later, but it is up for your doctor to decide," she explained.

Hot shot watched as the nurse washed her hands and then set up the pump with medicine. He watched as she washed her hands again. Then he watched as she attached the IV line to his Hickman line and then unclamped the line is was attached too. Then started the pump. Hot shot didn't feel any pain but it did feel like a bit like something cold was dripping on him.

"It feels a little cold," Hot shot said.

"That is completely normal," the nurse told him.

"Oh okay," Hot shot said.

"Now you can do what you want while getting your chemotherapy," the nurse said. "You can take a walk around, or you can stay here and entertain yourself, or you can even have your lunch," she said.

"How long will this chemotherapy be going on today?" Hot shot asked.

"It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over day," the nurse said. "It depends on how much is in there, how fast the pump is set to go, and how much chemotherapy medicine you need to be given during the day," she explained. "That is how it works with the pump," she said. "Some chemotherapy is given by syringe into your Hickman line, it can take about 15 minutes for that one," she told him. "The oral chemo you just have to swallow your doses for the day and then you are done," she said. "Some are an injection into your muscle, or back, those can take a few minutes and might hurt," she said. "But it is over very quick," she said. "You might need chemotherapy other ways too, other than just the way you are getting it now later, that is all up for your doctors to decide," she explained.

"Oh," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was able to walk around the hospital for a bit to see what there was to see. He even got lunch at the Chic-fil-a. Hot shot was even happy to go to the froyo shop. That made Hot shot very happy.

Hot shot was very curious about what else maybe around the hospital. Hot shot saw there was a gift shop and a build a bear too. Hot shot even got a build a bear of Pikachu. Hot shot was very happy too. Hot shot was hoping to continue to having an okay time with treatment.

A bit later Hot shot made it back to his room. Hot shot was happy to be back in his room. Hot shot soon heard the pump bleep a bit later. The nurse came in and disconnected the empty bag from Hot shot and closed the clamp over the line again. "There you go," the nurse said.

Hot shot felt very tired after the chemotherapy and radiation. He was wanting to rest. It was normal after chemotherapy and radiation to be tired as Dr. Horn told him.

Hot shot was going to have more treatment tomorrow and he was ready for it. He was going to keep fighting his cancer and he was going to beat it too!