ten

Trigger warning for the following chapter, read with caution.

"Aimsey? What are you doing out?" Guqqie reprimanded jokingly.

"I know our date was over, technically speaking. But when do dates really end. Like, when does one qualify the date as 'over'?" Aimee challenged, eyebrow cocked. Her suit was still on, jacket left at home and tie dancing in the breeze.

"Very good point. I think dates can be infinite." Guq nodded, putt on her letterman jacket to protect from the cool evening, and closed the door behind her.

The duo walked for a while around Area Unknown. They walked through the main area of the town, passing the community spaces, enchanting tables, potion stands and homes. Many of their friends were closing shops, parting ways and heading home as the sun set behind the faraway mountains and clouds. Michela passed them with a friendly farewell, and even Eloise and Oli waved in their direction. It seemed as though the entire town had warmed up to the pink-haired alien - no more than Aimee had, of course. They followed the grassy earth's natural trail until they found a yellowed birch bench they had built together many moons ago. It sat in the clearing of a tall birch forest, dotted with orange tulips and cornflowers that had since bloomed.

"This is nice. Our old meeting spot, haha." Aimsey chuckled nervously, balled up on the bench with his knees pulled up to his chin. "You okay, Guq?"

Their girlfriend stood by the seat, as if frozen in time. A scowl covered her face, and her usually poofy pink hair fell a little flatter, falling in short strawberry-blonde waves over her shoulders. Small cracks formed on her hands, but instead of bleeding, they revealed a sparkling black void.

"I... I feel so angry. I don't know what I'm mad at. Not you, not you. Maybe you?" She winced, not making eye contact with the demon. "You didn't do anything wrong, Aims. This will pass. I'm sorry, I just... I need a moment."

"Yeah, that's- okay, take your time, lovely." The shorter nodded. He couldn't take his eyes off of her hands, fear written all over his face. Guqqie stayed still, not one hair moving. After a minute, she sat down with her partner, hair bubblegum-coloured and cracks mostly closed now. "I have a baked potato in my jacket if you're hungry." Aimsey offered hesitantly.

"WHY do you have a BAKED POTATO in your jacket?!" Guqqie giggled in disbelief.

"In case my awesome girlfriend is hungry."

"Good save, loser."

"Hey, I called you awesome! Not fair!"

"What's that? The shiny doo-dad, in your pocket." Guq pointed to Aimsey's pant pocket.

"Oh, this." Aimsey shrugged, having genuinely forgotten about the shard. "I found it at the colosseum. Looks enchanted, I wonder what it was a part of."

"Mind if I take a look?"

Broken netherite doesn't mean anything, surely. Enchanted netherite never broke, but there's a first for everything - and Guqqie's an investigator. Aimsey handed the piece over, not even thinking twice about it.