The diving competition

Time flew by , and in no time at all , the long-awaited inauguration of the Mouseford Championships arrived . The stadium was packed with young athletes , as well as hundreds of spectators from all over the island , not wanting to miss what was shaping up to be the sporting event of the year . A feverish silence had descended on the crowd , and all eyes converged on the main entrance , which was to be used by a guest with an essential role to play : by lighting the flame symbolizing the tournament , this athlete would kick off the competition . Pamela pointed to a figure approaching at a run .

Pamela : There he is ! Here he comes !

It was a rodent with mirrored sunglasses , wriggling muscles and a determined stride .

Nicky : Look , it's Bruce !

Paulina : The perfect godfather for this ceremony !

He made his way to the podium , where the headmaster was waiting , and with a solemn gesture pressed his torch to the bottom of the cauldron . Immediately , a tongue of fire shot skywards , as crackling applause broke out . Octavius cleared his throat before declaring in a solemn tone .

Octavius : The official opening of the Mouseford Championship !

As the tournament kicked off with the diving event , athletes and spectators flocked to the pool . Pamela , Colette , Paulina and Violet joined Nicky , who was just finishing her warm-up at the edge of the pool .

Paulina : Are you ready ?

Nicky : Very ready ! After all these days of training , I can't wait to get in the water !

Colette : Open this and all you'll want to do is dry off !

She handed her a large , fluffy package . Unwrapping the gift the Thea Sisters had chosen for her , Nicky discovered a nice bathrobe .

Nicky : Thank you , girls ! It's gorgeous !

Colette : Let's go to the bleachers now , so you can concentrate...

Pamela : ...and defeat your opponents...even the show-offs !

In the background , having had to give up rhythmic gymnastics , Alicia had switched to swimming and was being photographed by her friends in diva poses . From the loudspeakers came Bruce's voice .

Bruce : Attention , youngsters ! The competition is about to begin ! Athletes , please report to the diving boards !

Nicky quickly took her place . When it was her turn , she climbed the stairs to the platform with her heart pounding . Diving was always impressive , but this time even more so . Before taking the plunge , the young mouselet looked down . The jury , her friends and little Bea all had their eyes on her . She had to give her best . Taking a deep breath , she ran to the edge of the diving board . But just as she was about to jump , a bright light dazzled her . She lost her balance , and only regained control of her movements at the very last moment , putting in a barely acceptable performance . When she was out of the water .

Pamela : Nicky , are you all right ?

Nicky : Yes , thank you .

Colette : What happened ?

Nicky : I...I saw some kind of lightning , but I don't know what it was....

Pamela stared at Alicia , who was sitting in the stands .

Pamela : For me , on the other hand , there's no mystery about it ! Just as you were about to dive in , the Vanilla Girls started taking a flurry of photos.... It was the flash from their cameras that distracted you !

Colette : Cheer up , Nicky ! Even if you didn't get the best score , you're through to the final !