Chapter 1

The wind howled in Opal's ears. Opal suddenly woke up from her cramped position. Wha- What am I doing here? She asked herself. She took a deep breath and drank in her surroundings. It was pitch black and water lapped at her feet. She looked up and saw blackness. Hazy pictures from her memory suddenly flooded her brain. She was running. Running from what? She had to camp under a bridge. Why? The Enforcers----. That's it! The Enforcers! She shivered at the thought. The Enforcers were chasing her because she had broken more than five Rules. Argh those stupid Rules! Opal wished she could change the world and the stupid, stupid, stupid Rules. She flung some dirt on the bridge wall in frustration. "Well, I should get a fire going," She muttered to herself. As she started to nurse the fire from a few embers to a blazing fire, she heard rustling. Rustle rustle. There it was again. Opal reached down to her boot, where a knife was hidden. Rule thirty-four. No one should have a knife for killing or injuring. Her hand reached for the knife and held its leather grip. "Who's there? Show yourself!" She demanded, calling out in the bushes.

"Sorry, sorry! No need to raise the knife!" The voice said from the bushes. Fern. The young girl had been Opal's friend and partner forever, even before the incident.

"Sorry Fern," Opal called. Should she mention The Enforcers to Fern? No, there is no need to spread fear when the matter is done and finished.

"Hey, Opal! You're jumpier than usual today. So, do you want to have fish for breakfast or some bread?" Fern rattled, smirking.

"Let me guess, you already stole fish and bread from the market?" Opal asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, my friend, you will get your chance someday to defeat the amazing Opal!" Opal continued, pulling out three fish and two slices of bread from a crook in the bridge. Fern's eyebrows shot up, amazed. She better learn how to mask her emotions. It's too obvious what she's feeling. Opal gave Fern a slice of bread and two fish.

"Thanks, Opal," Fern said as she received her breakfast. "When did you have time to even steal this? I got up at three in the morning!"

Opal proudly responded, "You know by now that a magician - or a thief - never reveals her secrets! Fern, give me your food. We can stash it here, see? Then we don't have to steal for tomorrow's breakfast." Fern shuffled closer, looking at the crook in the bridge.

"Opal, why did you run? I couldn't find you at the usual spot near the forest," Fern asked, curious. Opal rubbed her locket with her thumb and index finger. What should I tell her?

"Uh- I didn't feel like sleeping there. I wanted to move?" Opal told her. That sounded so uncertain! I have to work on that.

"Hmmm. Okay. Is this going to be your new home? It's a bit of a squeeze for both of us, don't you think?" Fern asked, taking in her surroundings.

"This is only temporary, Fern," Opal said. "Do you want to help me find a better place?" Opal added after a pause.

"Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, Opal! But what about Thomas?" Fern asked after a moment.

"He told me that he can't today," Opal reassured Fern. "Now let's go!"