Chapter 8

"Nghhhh..." Opal groaned.

"Shhhh. Take it easy, okay? You blacked out after you hit your head," said a soft voice. Opal's eyelids fluttered open, taking in her surroundings. Shuffling could be heard from the corner of the room.

"Hello. I am Dr. Santeler. Let's see if you're good. Hmmm," Dr. Santeler, a tall man with bushy hair said as he poked Opal, "Yep! You're in ship-shape! Got a nasty hit on that head didn't ya? Well, be more careful next time, hm? Then I'll be off!" Dr. Santeler rushed out of the room, leaving a confused Opal and an exasperated Thomas.

"Probably off to claim his pay," Thomas muttered. That explains his hurry. "So. How are you? I wanted to call your mom but you never told us her phone number so we just kept you here," Thomas continued. Wait... How long was I out?

"How long was I out?" Opal asked, bolting upright.

"Uhhhh, about a day?" Thomas told her. "Are you okay, though?"

"Yes, I'm fine! I have to go back home, now!" Opal exclaimed, struggling to get out of the bed. Thomas held her down.

"Nuh-uh. You're staying until you can walk," Thomas told her, still holding her down. "So. What's your verdict? Are you going to stay? Or are you going to wobble out of here? Without anywhere to go?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "You don't have a home. How are you going to survive?" He snarled the next sentence. "By marrying me and moving your little filthy self into my home?"

"Wha-? I-I have a home!" Opal yelled, outraged. How did he know? How could he know?

"Shut your filthy mouth!" Thomas boomed, striking a blow to her cheek. Opal struggled to get out of his grasp, but Thomas was strong. "I thought you were kind! I thought that you were a good person! I- I," Tears streamed from Thomas's eyes, carving a path down his face. "I thought that you loved me," He whispered. "But you're just a rat. You're just like any other rat, sneaking into homes and making them filthy. You-You're ju-just a r-rat." He whispered raggedly. I'm not a rat! The thought exploded in Opal's mind. I'm not a rat! I don't even love you! But... Was that true? Opal let herself go limp. No! I can't love him! He's like any other rich snob! A voice in her mind asked, Then why did you start seeing him? Opal drew in a ragged breath and collected her shattered self.

"I," she started, looking straight into Thomas's eyes, "am not a rat." Opal swiped Thomas's hands off her shoulders, "And I," She whispered as she wrapped her arms around his neck, "love you." The space between their lips disappeared and Opal kissed Thomas. Why am I doing this? I know this is what I want but this will ruin our lives. Thomas, coming out of his shock, kissed back, his hands shoved into her hair, letting strands of her hair fall from the bun.

"This isn't real," He whispered raggedly. "You're just trying to win me back to marry me and get shelter." Tears ran down his face. Opal realized that tears were stinging her eyes too.

"What do I have to do to prove to you that I love you?" Opal murmured. Thomas was silent, leaning in for another kiss.

"I don't know..." Thomas murmured, pulling Opal's bun free. Opal's hands had found their way to his face, gently wiping his tears away. They spent the night together, crying, laughing, and talking to each other.