Chapter 18

"That's a harder step than I thought it would be," muttered Topaz. Meh. It's always hard to do something around here. Thought Opal as she slinked around the shadows with Topaz on her tail. He had volunteered to go when Opal said she would go get a screwdriver. "I didn't realize you meant to steal it. Can't you just buy it?"

"I already told you, I'm a fugitive, an outsider, I have a price over my head. Nobody is ever going to sell me anything. Besides, we don't have money," Opal growled.

"Well, technically, I have money, and I'm not wanted-" Topaz starts.

"No," Opal cuts him off. "I already told you, Redbrook hates newcomers. That's why we don't have any tourists or anything." Opal snarls. "Now be quiet or we're going to get caught." Opal skittered down to another alley, just a shadow to other people. Topaz, however, is definitely getting caught. He's as graceful as a wardrobe. Opal sighed and pulled Topaz into the shadows.

"Oof! Hey, rude!" Topaz exclaims loudly. Too loudly.

"Who's there?" growls a voice. Opal sighs. Here we go again.

"Sorry, sir! We were just passing through, sir!" Topaz blabs, getting up.

"Topaz!" Opal hisses. That's Bowler Hat! Ugh. The only one who almost injured me. Opal assessed the situation. I'm still injured, I can't run as fast. Opal took a breath. I'm young. I'm female. With luck, he won't recognize me. I had red hair last time, and I put on brown eye contact. He'll probably underestimate me. Use that. Opal jumped up and put on an innocent smile.

"Oh, sir! I'm so sorry! We were lost and my little brother here was so sure that our house was this way. We're terribly lost and we could really appreciate your help, sir!" Opal plastered a fake smile. Curtsy. Etiquette. Innocence. Opal repeated her mother's words. Opal curtsied and bowed.

"You're in the wrong alley little girl." He underestimates me. "Here, come in my car, I can lead you home." Bowler Hat said. He smirked, showing off his yellow teeth. Topaz looked absolutely terrified. Opal nudged his shoulder. Look innocent! Luckily, Bowler Hat didn't notice Topaz's expression. His whole attention was on me. Good. Don't look at Topaz.

"Oh thank you, sir, but if you could just give directions to the market..." Opal trails off, noticing a knife gleaming in Bowler Hat's pocket out of the corner of her eye.

"No, no. I'll give you a ride." Bowler Hat responds.

"Oh no, it's fine really..." Opal starts but Bowler Hat grabs her arm violently. Ouch. Opal winced. That's the arm with the bullet hole. Topaz stayed silent and unmoving like a statue. Opal rolled her eyes. Thanks a lot, Topaz. Opal wrenched her hand back, and the movement shocked Bowler Hat, which made him stumble. "I don't think so, sir," Opal said sweetly as she ran to his back and kicked him, making him fall over. With her right hand, she stole Bowler Hat's knife, putting the edge of the knife on his throat.

"You lose, Bowler Hat," Opal says menacingly. His bowler hat toppled off his bald head and rolled over to Topaz.

"You- You're the Lioness! No one else could have defeated me!" Bowler Hat growls, and pushes Opal off his chest. She swiftly swiped his wobbly legs from the floor, leaving him lying on the asphalt ground again.

"Topaz! Come here and be useful! You're heavier than me, get over here and sit on Bowler Hat!" Opal called over her shoulder. She glared at him as he stumbled over and sat on Bowler Hat. "Sheesh. Thanks for your help, Topaz." Topaz became bright red, embarrassed that a girl had fought a fight for him. And won. "Give me that rope from his car." Opal directed, sending Topaz stumbling to the bright silver van. He came back with the rope, and Opal told him to sit down on Bowler Hat. "And if you let him go, I will end you, Topaz." Topaz nodded, his terrified expression returning. Opal raced to the van and got a frying pan. Who knows why it's there. She came back to Bowler Hat and slammed the pan on his head. Bowler Hat's tongue stuck out, his eyes dead.

"You-you killed him!" Topaz says finally.

"I didn't kill him. I made him unconscious!" snarled Opal. "I'm not violent!" She took Topaz's rope and swung it around the unconscious Bowler Hat. She dragged his body to the nearest electricity pole and tied him securely to it. She painted a sign that said, "Attempted Kidnapping." and stuck it to his chest using super glue.

"Well, that took kind of a long time," Opal muttered. "You go home, I'm going to get that screwdriver," Opal ordered Topaz.

"But-" Topaz protested.

"You'll just get in the way like with Bowler Hat and you're slowing me down. So go home." Opal growled, her patience worn thin. Was I too harsh? Opal thought as she watched Topaz trudge to the little haven.