Chapter 5

After a successful morning of stealing food and not getting caught, Opal and Fern lay on the grassy floor of their home, laughing about anything and everything.

"Wait a minute," Fern suddenly exclaimed, sitting upright. "Thomas! You forgot Thomas, Opal!" I was supposed to meet him for lunch at his house!

"You're right! His mom and dad are going to kill me if I'm late!" Opal responded. Opal stood up, shaking mossy bits off her clothes. I have to change my dress. Opal thought, taking off her pants and shirt. "Give me the dress!" Opal yelled at Fern. Fern nodded and took out a soft opal dress from the bushes. The dress was beautiful, made out of flowing satin and silk, trimmed with gold. Opal sighed dreamily. My mother's dress. Opal had managed to salvage some of her mother's beautiful hand-sewn dresses including this one. When she wore it, she was no longer Opal, but Lilliana, the person she was when she was meeting Thomas. Lilliana was also the daughter of her mother when they were outside. In their house, her mother always called her Opal, her real name. Opal tied her hair in a delicate bun, not letting any strand of hair escape the bun. Opal rushed to the nearest stream and washed the grime and dirt off her face. She pinched her cheeks so that it seemed like she put on makeup. She came back home with Fern giving her a little straw basket that Fern filled with freshly picked strawberries.

"It's always a wonder to see you transform into an entirely different person in a matter of minutes," Fern murmured.

"Thank you, Fern," Opal said, waving to her as she ran out to meet Thomas.