Chapter 13

I dreamed of running through a crowd of Enforcers, and when I shot someone, a ghost rose from it. I thought that the ghost was Mr. Parker. But when I got closer, I saw that it was me.

I dreamed of running from my mom, and this time, I was the one kidnapped and killed.

I dreamed of our little haven. The leaves rustling overhead. The birds chirped to their usual morning tune. The safe comfort of the bushes. Opal could faintly hear Thomas's voice, a soft murmur in her ear. Opal waited for the voice to become clear, for Thomas's face to appear in her vision. For Fern's soft laughter to bubble to a full-blown giggle. For Fern to flop down next to her. But that never happened. Opal waited. But it never came.

"What should we do with this one?" The voice was as sharp as a knife. Unlike her other dreams, his voice cut through her consciousness.

"I'd throw her in the canal," Another cold voice snorted.

"Matthew doesn't want to. Says she's too powerful, too dangerous..." A third voice sneered.

"I'd say that he's just too embarrassed that she took him out... But I guess she had a pretty strong fight in her. Took out many of our Enforcers." Trailed off the second voice. The other voices sneered, snorted, and grunted.

"Hah! Now you're turning into Matthew!" The voices laughed. What are they going to do to me? Pain and fear trembled Opal. Who's going to save me now? Max isn't here now...

All the emotions that Opal kept bottled up were threatening to burst out. Keep those emotions in. Opal gasped inaudibly. Her mom's voice. Tears were ready to slide down her cheeks, but Opal had created a strong dam a long time ago. Good. Calm and steady. But hearing her mom's voice twice was too much for Opal. Each emotion she was feeling flashed before her eyes after it exploded out of her. Anger. Sadness. Unfairness. Jealousy. Happiness. Grief. Love. Anxiety. Shame. Frustration. Excitement. Thrill. Stress.

A burst of light exploded from her opal pendant. The light seemed to strangle the owners of the voices. The light seeped into every corner of the little room, even seeping under the closed door. The door kept tightly shut, but after a while, the door gave in. The opal light burst through the door, spreading to the corridors. Opal touched the opal light. Huh. It's cold... Can't see anything in the light.

"Well hello there! Seems you're powers finally decided to come out!"