Chapter 17

"I found it!" Amethyst yells, holding up an apple triumphantly.

"Let's see!" Fern says, getting to her tiptoes to see what Amethyst is holding. "There's a paper inside!" gasps Fern, reaching for the paper.

"Read it!" Demands Peridot, who came back in the clearing with a subsided Pearl.

"'The last clue is deep in the heir's heart, an object she values most over anything.'" Reads Amethyst. "Huh. No riddle. No weird thing Apatite has to solve. This seems.... so easy." Everyone nodded in agreement.

"So. What do you value most over everything?" Diamond asks, raising her eyebrows.

"My life?" Opal says jokingly. "If it's an object? Hmm. Maybe my pendant?" Opal adds, looking at her opal pendant that lay on her chest. Everyone looks at it in confusion.

"Do we have to break it?" Asks Aquamarine, reaching out to touch the pendant.

"No! This is the only thing I have left from my grandma! I'm not giving it away so you can break it!" Opal yells, snatching the pendant.

"Think of it, Opal. Without that, the world could plunge into shadows. You don't want that." Peridot reasons with her.

"Give me it," Thomas murmured reassuringly. "I won't break it." Opal gave him the pendant, not even hesitating a moment. Topaz, who saw this, pouted.

"Well, looks like I have competition." He muttered under his breath. Thomas fidgets with the pendant for a long time, turning. it over and over. Everyone looked at him in expectation.

"Well. This is unexpected," muttered Thomas, turning the pendant over one more time.

"Well? What is it?" Periot asks impatiently.

"We're gonna need a screwdriver," Thomas said.